All graain Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarkWhite

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Looking to brew an all grain grapefruit IPA this weekend.

Found the below, however i'd like to use centennial, cascade and amarillo.

What would your guys suggestions be for incorporating the above into the recipe below?

All Grain Recipe - 1.064/1.012 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

*optional*
If you like a bit more hop, use 1/2 oz of Centennial as a First Wort Hop addition

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II Yeast (#1272) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

Notes

Let this one clear nicely, drink fresh.

I would ditch the 45 and 30 min additions. Complete waste IME. Youd be better off increasing the 60min to 1 oz and saving the rest for late and flameout additions.

Id mash lower. I mash my IPAs at 150 because you want them to be dry. This accentuates the hop character. I steer clear of crystal malts due to their sweetness and always use some sugar to dry it out more.

But most of all, I think you should increase the late hops by a large margin. I woudl take what you have so far for the hop bill, and pile on some amarillo and cascade at flameout for a hopstand. Use cascade for the 15min flavor addition if you are really wanting to stress the grapefruit

I prefer Centennial's flavor/aroma to Cascade's so I would probably use the Cascade to bitter if I had to choose between these 3 hops for bittering. I would probably do something like this :

1/2 oz Cascade FWH
1/2 oz Cascade @ 30
1/2 oz each Cascade/Amarillo/Centennial at 5
1/2 of whatever's left at flameout
Save the rest for dry hop

I would also mash a bit lower, but that's just me

Do you have to use those hops?

I made a Mosaic/Pils smash and it is a grapefruit bomb.

I would ditch the 45 and 30 min additions. Complete waste IME. Youd be better off increasing the 60min to 1 oz and saving the rest for late and flameout additions.

Id mash lower. I mash my IPAs at 150 because you want them to be dry. This accentuates the hop character. I steer clear of crystal malts due to their sweetness and always use some sugar to dry it out more.

But most of all, I think you should increase the late hops by a large margin. I woudl take what you have so far for the hop bill, and pile on some amarillo and cascade at flameout for a hopstand. Use cascade for the 15min flavor addition if you are really wanting to stress the grapefruit

Nice...learn something new every day...how much sugar in 5g batch...also hopstand is 170F?

Do you have to use those hops?

I made a Mosaic/Pils smash and it is a grapefruit bomb.

No not necessarily. However I want the grapefruit to be very apparent.

The above recipe is something I found and it looked okay to me but i don't have a review on it.

If you or anyone has a all grain that you've used and recommend that will produce a easily distinguished grapefuit flavor I would love to see it!

Nice...learn something new every day...how much sugar in 5g batch...also hopstand is 170F?

For sugar, a lot of people go about 5% of the grain bill. I've had success adding anywhere from 5-10%. For this grain bill, I would probably do about .75 lbs.

For the hopstand, if you so choose to do one, you can add them right at flameout if you want to get some bitterness from the addition. 170 seems to be the temperature that the hops stop isomerizing (is that a word?), meaning you shouldn't get any bitterness if you add the hops at or below 170.

agree entirely with @hanuswalrus . I always do 1lb sugar in my IPAs and usually 1.5lbs in double IPAs because its hard to get such a high OG beer dry

I do hopstands in two parts - flameout and after 30mins where its below 180F.

No not necessarily. However I want the grapefruit to be very apparent.

The above recipe is something I found and it looked okay to me but i don't have a review on it.

If you or anyone has a all grain that you've used and recommend that will produce a easily distinguished grapefuit flavor I would love to see it!

I made this to see what Mosaic tasted like. It is a damn good beer but it definitely tastes like grapefruit juice.

14.5 lb Pilsner (only because I didn't have any two row)
8 oz carapils

Hops (all mosaic)

1 oz 60 min
1/2 oz 30
1/2 oz 15
1/2 oz flame out
1 oz dry hop

For yeast I used second generation Conan just because I had it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use SO 5 or any other clean yeast.

Latest posts

Back