Last brew day of 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyruk

Reaction score
With the holidays approaching 2015 is quickly coming to an end. I managed to sneak in one last brew day before the parties and shopping consume my weekends. I thought it would be cool if everyone shared their final brew of 2015, or what they plan on brewing. Maybe it will give some inspiration to those who are just about to wrap up the year. Here is the beer I brewed

Cranberry orange dark saison

Fermentables

AmountFermentableUse
13.0 lb2-Row (US)Mash
2.0 lbBelgian Candi Sugar - DarkBoil
1.0 lbMunich - 60L (US)Mash
1.0 lbMunich - Dark 20L (US)Mash
0.5 lbSpecial BMash
Hops

AmountHopTime
1.0 ozPerle (US)60 min
Yeasts

1.0 oz bitter orange. 5 min
36 oz cooked cranberries 15 min

NameLab/Product
Belgian Saison I YeastWhite Labs WLP565

Dead Deer Dark Ale

6 kilos Vienna
200 grams caraaroma
200 grams Victory
100 grams dark chocolate

1 oz CTZ 60 minute boil
3 oz CTZ hop stand at 180 degrees
3 oz Northern Brewer hop stand at 180 degrees
2 oz Cascade dry hop for 6 days

Wave some unopened containers of spices at it.

US-05 yeast.

Fine with gelatin.

I've got 4 planned brews before the end of the year, but I might be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 if I time them just right.

I tried to brew right up to Christmas last year and it got way too hectic. This year I brewed 3 high gravity beers and am letting them all age in the secondary until New Year's Day

Too early for me too to say. I currently have 3 beers going and am still brewing. Still coming up to brew before years end is my "Excellent Amber Ale", the 4th re-brew of my "Most Triumphant Coconut Porter", and a modified version of NB's Patersbier. They'll all be brewed within the next two weeks likely.

Been thinking of trying a Frankenstein beer - just randomly pick some grains and hops and such lol. But, now I'm considering creating my own Festivus Ale (since NB) has one but completely from scratch, since I haven't looked at their recipe. Sounds like more fun.

Rev.

I have two recipes planned in December, an IPA and an APA.

It's tough to fit it because I'm going on a vacation a day after Thanksgiving and won't be back until December 6, so I'll have to fit it in before Christmas. Then I leave for a couple months around January 10.

It's really hard being retired! :D

I have two recipes planned in December, an IPA and an APA.

It's tough to fit it because I'm going on a vacation a day after Thanksgiving and won't be back until December 6, so I'll have to fit it in before Christmas. Then I leave for a couple months around January 10.

It's really hard being retired! :D

I'm very curious on your APA recipe. I'm already planning my first brew of 2016 and am leaning towards an APA.

I have 4 batches planned by end of year. I might get 2 done. Another hoppy saison and a bitter, for sure, IPA and a pale ale if I can.

I think I've already missed my last brew opportunity.

I might be able to squeeze a few brews after my students have written their final exams, but I'll have to reinstate my old 9 gallon aluminum pot and do the snow bank chill method.

Not as appealing.

So it might be brewhouse and festabrew kits for me til spring.

I have 4 more planned for December, having a go at a Biere de Garde for the first time, and then rebrews of my Belgian Blonde, Belgian Wit, and Kölsch. And then I'm also going to make 16 lbs of English-style invert sugar (4lbs each of #1-4) for use the first half of next year.

I probably should get something going before I kick this keg of brown ale and before the weather completely turns. So hoping to fit in a brewday next week, possibly Thanksgiving morning. Now what to brew?

Hoping to squeeze in a quick, simple bitter early next month, but I've got a spiced winter warmer that's gonna need splitting into five variations and spicing and a batch of apfelwein that'll be looking for some crashing, racking, bottling, and possibly a bit of jacking before the new year. The sane move would definitely be to say "OK, 2015 wasn't a bad year, five proper brews, apfelwein, 20 gallons of golden sour souring away, and a couple random small experiments is plenty," so, pardon me while I wander off to search for recipe inspiration and British yeast profiles...

As summer is just about here I will do a smash Pilsner hoped with motueka and probably a smash pale ale with cascade.. Should go down a treat on those hot days..

Third batch I have made. Thinking about a partial mash grapefruit IPA requested by my wife after she so much enjoyed a Barrio (Tucson) Ruby Red at Oktoberfest in Flagstaff. I plan on using Maris Otter for my partial, and Simcoe or Amarillo for bittering, then dry hopping with Citra. Thought I might use an Amber instead of a pale, but all final decisions will be made post Thanksgiving cruise.

I'm going to try to gather the rest of the ingredients for the nearly extinct German mumme' in December. It's a big gruit that'll need some time...

I'm brewing a coffee stout today! Bottled my first attempt at a barley wine last night! It had been sitting in the fermenter since August. Hopeful to brew once, maybe twice more before the end of the year. Going to need more bottles though.

I'm trying to fit in 3 more brew days before New Year's - probably an IPA, a porter, and some type of Belgian. Thinking about attempting something like a dubbel but session strength.

Going to try and brew up a nut brown before New Years. Its killing me having my bucket empty and no set brew date. Hard to brew between work and an 8 month old baby at home.

Finished my Christmas Stout today! Now I'm thinking maybe I can fit in another if the temps stay in the 30s.

I have an IPA planned, which I may do in the next few days, then I intend to brew at least one more beer before the end of the year.

I'll get in at least three brews before the New Year & then one on New Years Day.
I'm doing a Red IPA, ESB, Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, the New Year brew is TBD.

I'll probably brew twice more before the end of the year. Probably a pilsner and an IPA using the new 2015 hops arriving next week. I can tell you for sure that I'll be brewing a RIS on January 1: Brew Year's Day.

Have a bitter planned for tomorrow. That probably will do it for 2015.

Well, I still need $$ to buy the rest of the ingredients for the mumme'. Looks like the Hellfire IIPA was the last to get bottled for me this year.

Gonna brew my family fav oat stout I created 3 years ago. Then probably a brown recipe I've been working on lately. On Saturday

Hammered out an IPA today. Hope to squeeze in one more... I have the 28th off, so hopefully I'll be brewing then.

As soon as the oat stout is done its going to be time to pick some fresh navel oranges off the tree and brew up a witbier and the cascades/orange pale ale.:)

Back