Anyone using safbrew s-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidebrewingco

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just feeling everybody out that has used Safbrew S-33. I just brewed a 5 gallon extract that I put together and had asked my LHBS about different yeasts to try. I was told the S-33 would be ok to use and should be a good yeast for the simple brew I planned on making. Everything seemed to go ok I rehydrated the yeast as I always do with dry and pitched it at about 70 degrees wort temp. Two hours later I had good airlock activity and 12 hours later I had a nice inch of krausen forming. The temp was holding steady at 70 degrees and I thought all was good. Now 40 hours later the activity has stopped and the krausen has already fallen. Does S-33 ferment out that fast?? The wort is still very cloudy and I still plan on giving it two weeks in the primary before kegging. Anybody have any experience or comments on this yeast.

Recipe was as follows
3 lb amber DME
2 lb gold DME
1 lb brewers crystals
1 oz centennial hops
safbrew s-33
60 minute boil with .5 oz hops at 60 minute and .5 oz at 5 minute.

My last 3 brews have been s-33. I make 10 gallon batches in a conical. I don't know how long after pitching they go crazy but when I go in the garage the next day its bubbling about every second out of a 1/2" blow off tube. The day after that there is barley any activity. I don't know about the krausen because I don't see it. I've been fermenting at 62. The 1st beer was a wheat and really good, I haven't tried the second and thirds still in fermenter.

I know this is a couple weeks old now but I just used S-33 on my attempt at the holly christmas ale from the recipe forums. Same thing, just pitched dry, fermented at 60 at 6 pm and the next morning that thing was going gangbusters. yesterday when i checked the airlock again it was bubbling every 30 seconds or so. my og was 1.07 (I forgot to buy honey and was too lazy to go back out). Is there a chance I could be bottling this Sunday? I'd love to see a fast turn around on this beer.

Latest posts

Back