New V3 Kettles from Spike? Anyone Have one yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
So I have been taking a little time off from brewing since I got married, but now I'm doing a little clean up of my brewery I decided my biggest problem with my setup is my MT. Its capacity is just not large enough for High Gravity beers. SOOOO, I went to my favorite vendors site to look for a replacement.

Low and behold they have a new version out at what I would consider an extremely attractive price point for the features.
scaletowidth

Take a look at the FB and pick up tube set up... I'm estatic... Anyone else considering one?

Yes, I was impressed with the new V3 line from Spike. Pricing is a little confusing as it is kinda ala cart???

Any idea what the 15 gal MT shown above sells for? Looks to me like a run at Blichmann w/ some similarities.

Low and behold they have a new version out at what I would consider an extremely attractive price point for the features.

Looks to me like the pot pictured above is just under $500, is that an extremely attractive price point?

Maybe I'm mistaken, i'm not certain on the price structure and what is included in the base kettle price of $300.

Very nice piece of hardware!!!

I've been communicating back and forth with them on a eHERMS tank design with integrated HERMS coil using their new v3 kettle as a base. From my understanding, they haven't shipped any yet. They're an interesting option for me. Currently weighing them against Blichmann, Stout, and a full DIY using my current kettle and a crap load of drilling and weldless fittings.

Dan

Yes, I was impressed with the new V3 line from Spike. Pricing is a little confusing as it is kinda ala cart???

Any idea what the 15 gal MT shown above sells for? Looks to me like a run at Blichmann w/ some similarities.

Looks to me like the pot pictured above is just under $500, is that an extremely attractive price point?

Maybe I'm mistaken, i'm not certain on the price structure and what is included in the base kettle price of $300.

Very nice piece of hardware!!!

As I see it configured a 15G kettle similarly pictured without the thermometer and the ball valve is $300. a 20G is $350.

Pricing is only ala carte when you start adding things like additional welded fittings. I've dealt with Ben for my boil kettle and he is excellent. The quality is great. It beats the pants off of Stout kettles.

I've been communicating back and forth with them on a eHERMS tank design with integrated HERMS coil using their new v3 kettle as a base. From my understanding, they haven't shipped any yet. They're an interesting option for me. Currently weighing them against Blichmann, Stout, and a full DIY using my current kettle and a crap load of drilling and weldless fittings.

Dan

Blichman is beautiful, except they are all weldless fittings. I had enough of that. I did that for my HERMS HLT, and drilling all those holes and cleaning up and working on everything was a pain. The product that Spike puts out is really nice.

As pictured a 15 gallon would be $405 (without valve or thermometer), although not sure why anyone in their right mind would want a sight glass on their mash tun.

Without the sight glass it's $345.

Fairly expensive but IMO this looks like the absolute best mash tun on the market.

As pictured a 15 gallon would be $405 (without valve or thermometer), although not sure why anyone in their right mind would want a sight glass on their mash tun.

Without the sight glass it's $345.

Fairly expensive but IMO this looks like the absolute best mash tun on the market.

Not sure how you are arriving at the $405 number. It clearly says on the website $300 in the drop-down options for a 15g V3 with sight glass tube.

regarding the picture above, i believe it would be $495

$300 - 15 gallon kettle with sight glass and two couplers
$90 - false bottom
$50 - adjustable face thermometer
$30 - three piece ball valve
$25 - pickup tube

$90 - false bottom
$25 - pickup tube

I think Ben might need to clarify his website listing. It says that the features that are included are
Kettle Features:

-304 (18/8) stainless steel
-Sanitary TIG welded coupler design
-Actual 1.2mm thick
-1.2:1 height to width
-Induction ready bottom *New*
-Tri-clad 6mm thick bottom
-Silicone handles *New*
-Internal volume markings *New*
-Domed bottom design *New*
-2 stage false bottom *New*
- 5/8” dip tube *New*
-Laser etched sight glass
-Polished finish

However when I read the v3 listings, he does have the pickup tube and FB listed separately. Which would be the kettle with site tube for $300 + FB which includes the pickuptube for $105 = $405

I just placed my order now for it. Just as an FYI for those considering Stout or Colorado. Stout is about $150 more for the setup with shipping, although it does come with about $100 worth of TC fittings and a thermometer.

yeah, he should clarify. the valve and thermo are definitely sold separately though. that's what i like about spike over blichmann, they give you the option to add those components or not. similar for the sight glass. the same kettle above from blichmann would be $536 but if you don't need a thermo, valve or sight glass, it would only be $325 from spike.

Blichman is beautiful, except they are all weldless fittings. I had enough of that. I did that for my HERMS HLT, and drilling all those holes and cleaning up and working on everything was a pain. The product that Spike puts out is really nice.

Yeah, the reason I'm considering Blichmann or DIY is mostly for the BoilCoil, honestly. And not just because it's a very nice element, but also because of how I'm designing this kettle to be dual-purpose. Since I would like the HERMS coil to double as an immersion chiller after the boil, and due to the fact that my boil volumes are relatively low (approx 7-8gal preboil, 5.5gal batch size), I need that HERMS coil to sit pretty low in the kettle so that it would be mostly submerged with 5ish gallons in the kettle. With the BoilCoil, if you set it up right, the HERMS coil can basically sit on the bottom of the kettle if you want. Can't do that with other elements.

I would really rather go with Spike, but I'm not sure I can get everything I want.

Dan

I tried using my HERMS coil in reverse where I pumped the Boil through the coil while it was submerged in cold water and ice, and that did not work well at all.

It would be cheaper still to go with Spike and take the savings to purchase a Duda Plate chiller and still have money left over.

I don't like the fact that the outlet is above the false bottom. That means that you could have issues with losing your siphon or prime from air entering from the outlet end when draining. I don't brew this way, but the elevated outlet was the first thing that struck me.

H.W.

I never lose suction on my dip tubes, However... Would I love a center bottom drain set up for the same price, like Stout does?????? Yeah. of course!

$90 - false bottom
$25 - pickup tube

The false bottom includes the pickup tube but is $105 for the 15 gallon version ($90 for the 10 gallon)

Dan

Regarding your crap load of weldless fittings, I would suggest silver solder, cheaper and better than weldless, not that difficult IF you want to take on the project.

Jmo
Best wishes whatever you choose.

Well apparently the orders are on hold right now. booo! Till December 1st. So I will have to wait until then to actually order it. Maybe I'll wait till after Christmas to order it, or let everyone know in my family that its something I want haha.

Anxiously awaiting my Spike V3 15 gal from the pre-order. I shopped for a couple months and in the end, I felt the V3 kettle offered the most bang for the buck.

Hey guys! Sorry about some of the confusion. Right now we have all the new features listed under each kettle and it was specified that they were sold separately. We just changed the listings to show what is sold separately (specifically the false bottom and pick up tubes). The false bottom will come with the pickup tube and push to connect fitting.

We do sell our accessories 'a la carte' for a few reasons. 1) Many people are upgrading kettles and have valves, thermometers, etc that they may want to use. 2) We have 'good' and 'better' options for both valve and thermometer. 3) We weld on standard 1/2"npt fittings to keep our kettles as modular as possible. If you find a cheaper valve, pickup tube, etc we aren't trying to pigeon hole you into using our proprietary fittings (like a proprietary valve for example ;)).

We are reeeally trying to get all pre-orders out the door by the week of Nov 30th. We are still waiting on a few pieces to come in but we aren't expecting any major delays. Fingers crossed!!

If people have any questions we'll be monitoring this thread so please ask away!

-Tim

When will we be able to order the new V3s? I have been checking the site for a month or so and every time I look it says check back in a week, then changed to two weeks. Bought my first pot (aluminum) from you guys and I want to finally upgrade to stainless. For the features you guys have on those pots, no one can touch you.

When will we be able to order the new V3s? I have been checking the site for a month or so and every time I look it says check back in a week, then changed to two weeks. Bought my first pot (aluminum) from you guys and I want to finally upgrade to stainless. For the features you guys have on those pots, no one can touch you.

I'm wondering about this too. I guess I missed the initial pre-order, but have been really wanting to pick one of these up. It originally said "Coming Nov '15", then as you noted, it went from one week to two and has stayed at two for about 2 weeks. Really hoping I'll be able to purchase a kettle by the end of the year.

Hey guys! Sorry about some of the confusion. Right now we have all the new features listed under each kettle and it was specified that they were sold separately. We just changed the listings to show what is sold separately (specifically the false bottom and pick up tubes). The false bottom will come with the pickup tube and push to connect fitting.

We do sell our accessories 'a la carte' for a few reasons. 1) Many people are upgrading kettles and have valves, thermometers, etc that they may want to use. 2) We have 'good' and 'better' options for both valve and thermometer. 3) We weld on standard 1/2"npt fittings to keep our kettles as modular as possible. If you find a cheaper valve, pickup tube, etc we aren't trying to pigeon hole you into using our proprietary fittings (like a proprietary valve for example ;)).

We are reeeally trying to get all pre-orders out the door by the week of Nov 30th. We are still waiting on a few pieces to come in but we aren't expecting any major delays. Fingers crossed!!

If people have any questions we'll be monitoring this thread so please ask away!

-Tim

I'm looking to upgrade to a 15 Gal BK and really like your offering, but it looks like I have to figure a way to use the thermometer port as a whirlpool port also. Anyway to get one with an exclusive whirlpool port without having to drill one after the fact?

I'm looking to upgrade to a 15 Gal BK and really like your offering, but it looks like I have to figure a way to use the thermometer port as a whirlpool port also. Anyway to get one with an exclusive whirlpool port without having to drill one after the fact?

The thermometer port wouldn't work as a whirlpool port as it's only a half coupler. However a large chuck of our business is doing custom orders. We'd be happy to help you out with that! Shoot Ben or I a message at [email protected].

-Tim

The thermometer port wouldn't work as a whirlpool port as it's only a half coupler. However a large chuck of our business is doing custom orders. We'd be happy to help you out with that! Shoot Ben or I a message at [email protected].

-Tim

Yep... Just e-mail them with your wants and needs. They are very responsive and can do just about anything. I had them create a recirculation port down low on my Boil Kettle. Easy peasy, and of course was done beautifully:
See:
12246912_10101068139447169_4218161204417634987_n.jpg

I recently ordered two v3 kettles, each with recirculation ports. Now it's just a matter of waiting. That's not so easy considering even instant gratification takes too long...

Latest posts

Back