best bag for pellets in keg. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > best bag for pellets in keg.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have a beer that has been aging in a corny, and I would like to do a second dry hop with some pellets that I have laying around ( i know, spare me). What would be the best way to add these to the keg? I was thinking about tea bag material. Anybody done this yet?

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I do it quite often. I one of these:http://morebeer.com/view_product/15685/102209 The bag is dedicated to dry hopping only, and I boil it before I put it in the keg and after I take it out.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
I do it quite often. I one of these:http://morebeer.com/view_product/15685/102209 The bag is dedicated to dry hopping only, and I boil it before I put it in the keg and after I take it out.
thanks for the repply. i do use those in fermenter, but wasn't sure if they would be good out of a serving vessel. glad to hear it works for you. i guess it's no big deal if there is a small amount of particulate for the first pull.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

I used a bag like that, too. It worked fine, but the last time I used a large stainless steel tea ball. I just sanitized, and added some leaf hops. That worked great, but I'm not sure how well it would work with pellets.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
wizardofza

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Buffalo, NY
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I used a paint straining bag. I think it was like $6.00 for a pack of three at the local hardware store.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

I use a stainless Tea Ball. Drop it in Starsan for a minute, put your hops in, drop it in the keg. Works like a champ.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks again everybody. I have the tea strainers too. I was thinking that a press and seal diy teabag might be good for keg, but have not seen it. They come in large sizes too.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Cincinnati OH
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I prefer to keep the hop bits from floating around in the beer. Those tea bags look to be effective. On my last IPA I used a knee high pantyhose, new and carefully cleaned, of course. I used leaf hops, though, so that's a little different than pellet.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
NOVA Brewer
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Vienna, VA

To be totally ghetto, you can use women's knee-highs, for sale in just about every grocery store and drugstore in the country. I use them for both grain-bags to steep and as hop bags in my boil and secondary (for dry-hopping.)
Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Ed's Apfelwein IV
Kegged: Irish Stout, Northwest Pale Ale II
Thinking about: Rye Ale, Russian Imperial Stout
Gone: Robust Irish Porter, Ed's Apfelwein I, Ed's Apfelwein II, Northwest Pale Ale, Ed's Apfelwein III, English Brown Ale, Blanche de Chambly clone

Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Brewer
To be totally ghetto, you can use women's knee-highs, for sale in just about every grocery store and drugstore in the country. I use them for both grain-bags to steep and as hop bags in my boil and secondary (for dry-hopping.)
Yeah, good idea. I'm finding I can't get much hops into one of SWMBO's thongs.