Help me spend money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atmfuge

Reaction score
I'm right on the cusp of having my setup right where I want it and have just made some money selling one of my old bicycles. I have $150 dollars to spend on brewing equipment. Things I need/want are below.

1) a pump: I do direct fire Biab and want to recirculate for whirlpool and cooling. Choice is $49.95 for a 24v pump and power supply from brausupply.com or $100 for a chugger pump from brewhardware.com

2) ph meter: recommendations are greatly appreciated

3) grain mill: again recommendations appreciated

4) save for money to switch to switch to kegging in the spring.

Ultimately, I need a pump but am not sure which one to buy and need to decide on buying a grain mill or saving for kegging on the future.

Cereal killer grain mill from AIH for $100 and your $50 pump? That'll knock 2 things off your list. Can't speak to whether its a good pump or not, sorry. I like my mill though!

My next purchase will be a grain mill. I've noticed spotty results from the pre-ground grain I've gotten.

Baja has a good point, although I really like my chugger I don't know that the other pump you mentioned isn't a good choice.

Don't save the money for kegging, the beer starts becoming to damned easy and then you have to brew more and you never have any money afterwards. But your friends will love you.:D

First get a mill. Monster Mill are the best one's I've used. Though that is between a horrible Barely Crusher and MM. I'd assumed the Cereal Killer is the same, as I've seen the same gripes with them as I've seen for the BC.

I would put the grain mill first. I use a Corona style mill and get consistent results. When I eventually upgrade my mill it will be a Monster Mill. (most likely). A pump would be next on my list of what you have asked about. I do not have a recommendation since I have a 3 vessel gravity setup.

I'd start with a mill, it's one way to remove a variable from your brewing. I've got a Barley Crusher and I think it does a great job, but if/when I upgrade I'm going with a Monster Mill. As far as pumps I'd pick the Chugger, because its designed for homebrewing. But, that opinion is based on not knowing anything about the 24v pump. I use a three tiered gravity setup so I don't use a pump so use my advice on what its worth. As far as pH meters go I've heard Milwaukee is the brand to use.

First, don't bother with the mill unless you have a reliable, consistent source of affordable bulk grain, and have a place to keep it. It seems senseless to buy a mill, just to continue buying your grain, one recipe at a time, from the same place(s), and then just milling it at home. You'll be spending that money on a mill, and the only thing you might gain is consistency in mash efficiency. Unless you know that the mill you typically receive grain through does indeed have its gap settings monkeyed with, then you're probably not gaining anything of tangible value.

But, if I were you, and did have a decent source for bulk grain, I would buy the chugger pump, and a corona mill.

If you are saving for kegging, save more. IME, kegging is another separate expensive hobby all its own.
I know it isn't on your list, but do you have/have room for a fermentation fridge or another means of consistent temp control?
If not
$20-40 craigslist fridge/freezer
$30 ink bird controller
$20 extention cord
$5-15 heat source
=~$90
And then your pump

The mill would be a great "I want this" holiday request

The BC seems to be widely hated........ I however have had virtually no trouble with it and have used it in over 100 brews. The only issue I've ever had was with the non-driven roll not wanting to turn. Once because of grain dust build up, requiring a simple process of taking it apart cleaning the built up stuff off, and putting it back together. The other issue is the alignment of the bushings if it is bolted down solidly, and the solution is as simple as leaving the two mounting bolts on the bottom slightly loose so it will self align. I don't see either of these as being big inconveniences. A little maintenance is a given with any mechanical device....... complaining about having to spend 15 minutes cleaning things up after 50+ brews is like complaining about having to change oil in your car. The alignment issue is a function of inexpensive manufacturing...... it's an inexpensive mill, one cannot expect it to be manufactured like a jet engine......

H.W.

I set up an EBiab system some time back and used it awhile before deciding it was more trouble than it was worth. The fines wanted to clog the weave on the bag making it drain more slowly, and it added more equipment to brewing that offered no real gain, and more things to clean. I returned to just heating my water and pouring in the grain, insulating it and walking away. If I go to a system using a pump and PID, etc again, it will involve some useful level of automation, or be an ultra simple in bag circulator modeled after the Annova Sous Vide that just sits in the mash tun and circulates the mash, grain and all past a thermocouple, and perhaps a heating element all in one unit.
I no longer use as bag in my mash...... I use the bag only as a filter, and use two pots. Not as simple as pure BIAB, but it works better for me.

H.W.

First, don't bother with the mill unless you have a reliable, consistent source of affordable bulk grain, and have a place to keep it. It seems senseless to buy a mill, just to continue buying your grain, one recipe at a time, from the same place(s), and then just milling it at home.

imasickboy, You bring up a great point. I don't plan to store bulk grain currently and am happy with my LHBS's crush.

I know it isn't on your list, but do you have/have room for a fermentation fridge or another means of consistent temp control?

Jwin, I do already have a Ferm chamber, although I wish I could have found a fridge for 40 bucks. Best I could get on craigslist (that worked) was $100

What I haven't seen is any recommendation for a PH meter. Honsetly I figured that that would be most useful behind the pump...

Anyways, I'm still deciding between the pumps one is $61 shipped but I'm not sure of its quality Vs. $109 shipped for a guaranteed purpose built pump. I think on top of that I will get a PH meter just because I worry about that an inordinate amount on brew day.

Thanks everyone.

The BC seems to be widely hated........ I however have had virtually no trouble with it and have used it in over 100 brews. The only issue I've ever had was with the non-driven roll not wanting to turn. Once because of grain dust build up, requiring a simple process of taking it apart cleaning the built up stuff off, and putting it back together. The other issue is the alignment of the bushings if it is bolted down solidly, and the solution is as simple as leaving the two mounting bolts on the bottom slightly loose so it will self align. I don't see either of these as being big inconveniences. A little maintenance is a given with any mechanical device....... complaining about having to spend 15 minutes cleaning things up after 50+ brews is like complaining about having to change oil in your car. The alignment issue is a function of inexpensive manufacturing...... it's an inexpensive mill, one cannot expect it to be manufactured like a jet engine......

H.W.

I agree with the BC recommendation, I have never had a problem with mine and I have put it through its paces. I keep telling myself I should get a bigger fancier mill but its tough for me to replace something that works well. Good match for your budget, too.

Latest posts

Back