First Time Cold-brew coffee - Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You know how I know tomorrow is going to be a good day?

I decided to try making some cold brew coffee in prep for one day adding it to my stouts. I am using a french press but don't have a coffee grinder any more and only had fine ground coffee. I read that cold brew was typically about 1 cup course ground to 500ml of water which seemed like a lot but whatever. Instead I did 3/4 cup fine to 500ml. I took a look and thought this seems like not enough water because when I used to brew hot coffee before the Keurig, I used less coffee than this for an entire pot, so I added two more cups for about 4 cups total water. I then afterwards read online that you would typically only use 1 tablespoon per 6 ounces of water...

I used 12 tbsp(3/4 cup) in 32 ounces of water (4 cups). I should have used 5 tbsp for that much water!

I'm going to have a very productive day tomorrow it seems!

David

Interesting. I used 2 oz of cracked robust-French-roast beans for 2.4 gallons of beer and it came out very strong in coffee flavour after only 2 days of exposure.

Take that for what it is worth.

Back