Current gravity 1.018 - to bottle or not to bottle? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Current gravity 1.018 - to bottle or not to bottle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232


That is the question.

I have an ESB kit from Seven Bridges (I know, I'm trying to move off the kits... in time....) and just took a hydrometer reading, as we were planning to bottle today. At a dead-on 60 degrees I get a reading of 1.018. With my standard 99 cent airlock in there, I was seeing about bubbling about every 35 seconds... consistently. It's been in secondary (carboy) for 20 days after spending 8 days in the bucket for primary. Been keeping it in my nice dark basement for the last month where it's been about 55 degrees.

Advice, anyone? Do we bottle today? Or will waiting benefit me?

Thanks, as always, for your generous help.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
maltMonkey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Kansas
Posts: 823
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


55 is probably too cold for most ale yeasts....I would warm it up to around 70, wait a couple days and take another reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232

I guess I should've mentioned - I used Burton Ale Yeast. Don't know if that makes a difference or what temp I'm supposed to store at. I always thought my basement would be best.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts


Well, from White Labs website:

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
From the famous brewing town of Burton upon Trent, England, this yeast is packed with character. It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear. Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts.
Attenuation: 69-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

If it's been at 55 the whole time, you're lucky it fermented as much as it did! I'd bring it up to the high 60's and let it finish up, though! Depending on what the gravity was when you started, it might be nearing completion.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,897
Liked 170 Times on 89 Posts


You may need to roust the yeast. Maybe use a sanitized racking cane to slowly stir some yeast back into suspension after you warm the beer to at least 65.
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gravity at 1.016 - Target 1.012 - 1.010 Ok to bottle? b1021 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-09-2009 01:47 AM
High gravity bottle conditioning cheezydemon Bottling/Kegging 16 02-13-2009 04:55 AM
Refermenting in the bottle-changes in gravity? ipscman Bottling/Kegging 2 02-12-2009 01:58 PM
Input on Final Gravity reading - time to bottle? EinGutesBier All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-23-2008 12:54 PM
No gravity reading taken. Is it safe to bottle? britishbloke Winemaking Forum 4 04-16-2007 08:32 PM


Forum Jump