Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Very Confused

Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's sort of like flying blind the first time if you don't have someone to show you. If you think of it though, the worst is you lose a few bucks ingredients and some time...but even then you'll learn.

You will succeed!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
relax and give an all grain batch a try. You'll find that much of the confusion will go away once you are doing the process. At least that's the way that I learn things. Study, study, study, but then I'm usually pretty uncertain about details. Then as soon as I start actually doing it, things start making a lot more sense.... Of course you'll screw some stuff up, but so what. Soon you'll be AG brewing while doing laundry, surfing the internet, watching TV, and getting dinner ready all at the same time
Very true--I say just jump in and do it. Be as prepared as you can, but a lot of stuff will (probably) happen that you weren't ready for....and that's how you learn...That's the path I'm a few steps into....and it's a very fun journey!

One note about boil-off rates and batch/fly sparging. If you batch sparge it goes much faster, so you will have much less boil off if you are heating the wort you collect while sparging. A fly sparge can take an hour, and if you are bringing the collected wort to a boil the whole time in your kettle you will have a lot more evaporation and need to collect more.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
busmanray
Recipes 

ill be using 2---28qt pots.one for sparge water ,one for the wort boil.and a 10 gal picnic cooler retrofitted.
heres the link http://www.homebrew.com/articles/article09130301.shtml