Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vienna Amber Ale?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
bluedragoon85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vienna Amber Ale?

Is their such thing? The thing is I really like the flavor of a Vienna Lager. I love the hint of caramel flavor it gives among other things; however, I am not ready to lager, and I was wondering what the equivalent would be in Ale form. I want to do a 5 gallon extract batch and I wanted to make sure I was brewing the correct recipe. Would the equivalent just be a standard Amber Ale? I might go with some of the Austin Home Brew extract kits if they have something similar to what I'm looking for. Any feedback would be great

Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I don't see why you couldn't brew up a beer with basically a Vienna lager grain bill and hopping but then use a clean ale yeast (maybe like a Kolsch yeast). It's not going to be authenitic, but I bet it's tasty.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

I could do that, but I'm still thinking about it. I was looking into this recipe right here
since it mentions having a hint of caramel in it, and heck, maybe I might like it more then a standard Vienna lager, but I am still undecided. If anyone has brewed this type of beer, please provide feedback

Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Are you doing all-grain, or extract? You can't really do a true Vienna-style lager/ale without being able to mash the Vienna malt, anyway.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The American Amber ale is a little more hoppy than a Vienna style. I have made our Vienna Amber many times, using the lager yeast at room temperatures, and it turns out excellent.

Forrest

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
Are you doing all-grain, or extract? You can't really do a true Vienna-style lager/ale without being able to mash the Vienna malt, anyway.
I'm doing extract. Not quite yet for All Grain.
Quote:
The American Amber ale is a little more hoppy than a Vienna style. I have made our Vienna Amber many times, using the lager yeast at room temperatures, and it turns out excellent.
Thanks for the reply Forrest I will sure look into doing that. So all I would have to do is use the lager yeast that it comes with at room Temp. and it would still come out exceptionally good? Thanks