Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract) - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #71
jgilbreth
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
St Louis Area
Posts: 78
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I always type out an instruction sheet for brew day. It keeps me organized, lets me make sure I have everything ready, and really makes the process smooth. Below is the instructional section of it for this recipe when I brewed it:

Brewing:
 Sterilize all equipment.
 Heat 3 gallons water to 160 degrees
 Steep Grains 30 minutes
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Add Willamette Hops, shut off burner
 Cool wort to 70 degrees.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pour into primary fermentor, aerating.
 Pitch yeast.


I actually check it off as I go down. I know, probably overkill, but what can I say, I'm an engineer.

The grains are steeped in a steeping bag. I put one of those satellite-looking steamer inserts in the bottom of the boil kettle so they aren't sitting directly on the heat.

I also include a place to write OG readings, brew and bottle dates, comments, etc. Once it's all done I put it in my filing cabinet where I keep all my other paperwork and can reference it for my next batch or next time I want to make that recipe.
__________________
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout
Next Up: Orange Blossom Honey Hef

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #72
mrgreen4242
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilbreth View Post
I always type out an instruction sheet for brew day. It keeps me organized, lets me make sure I have everything ready, and really makes the process smooth. Below is the instructional section of it for this recipe when I brewed it:

Brewing:
 Sterilize all equipment.
 Heat 3 gallons water to 160 degrees
 Steep Grains 30 minutes
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Add Willamette Hops, shut off burner
 Cool wort to 70 degrees.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pour into primary fermentor, aerating.
 Pitch yeast.


I actually check it off as I go down. I know, probably overkill, but what can I say, I'm an engineer.

The grains are steeped in a steeping bag. I put one of those satellite-looking steamer inserts in the bottom of the boil kettle so they aren't sitting directly on the heat.

I also include a place to write OG readings, brew and bottle dates, comments, etc. Once it's all done I put it in my filing cabinet where I keep all my other paperwork and can reference it for my next batch or next time I want to make that recipe.
This is AWESOME, especially for newbies like me... any chance you can email your template file?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #73
mrgreen4242
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilbreth View Post
I always type out an instruction sheet for brew day. It keeps me organized, lets me make sure I have everything ready, and really makes the process smooth. Below is the instructional section of it for this recipe when I brewed it:

Brewing:
 Sterilize all equipment.
 Heat 3 gallons water to 160 degrees
 Steep Grains 30 minutes
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Add Willamette Hops, shut off burner
 Cool wort to 70 degrees.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pour into primary fermentor, aerating.
 Pitch yeast.


I actually check it off as I go down. I know, probably overkill, but what can I say, I'm an engineer.

The grains are steeped in a steeping bag. I put one of those satellite-looking steamer inserts in the bottom of the boil kettle so they aren't sitting directly on the heat.

I also include a place to write OG readings, brew and bottle dates, comments, etc. Once it's all done I put it in my filing cabinet where I keep all my other paperwork and can reference it for my next batch or next time I want to make that recipe.
One more question from your list... You list boil 3 gallons, this recipe is saying pre-boil wort 2.35g and 2.0g wort size.

Is this a change you made? I assume that, based on the original instructions, you would boil 2.35g of water, add all your LME and grains, and then after evaporation and grains absorbing water you end up with 2.0g of wort, which you combine with 3.0g of water in your fermentor?

Thanks for answering my newb questions!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #74
jgilbreth
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
St Louis Area
Posts: 78
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


It's just a change I made, I have always used a 3 gal grain steep and boil, so I stuck with that.

I lost about 3 quarts in the boil and sediment. Once cooled and poured into the primary, I topped it off with enough water to get to the 5 gal mark and took my gravity readings.
__________________
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout
Next Up: Orange Blossom Honey Hef

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #75
Redbeard5289
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Kasson, Minnesota
Posts: 177
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


Hey Guys,

i need a substitution for a substitution.
I want to Brew up this Quaffable Irish Red Extract recipe next weekend but my LHBS is missing a couple of ingredients.
The LHBS doesn't carry Special Roast Malt in their grain lineup and Schlenkerla
said in an earlier posting that you can substitute a 50/50 Blend of Melanoidin and Caramunich for the Special Roast Malt amount.
Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry Melanoidin either. bummer

What are some alternatives that I can use for Melanoidin part of the Special Roast Malt sustitution?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Redbeard5289

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #76
jamie3
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 142
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I brewed this up last night. Had to make a few substitutions:

6 lb LME
0.5 lb Caramel Pils
0.5 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings 60min
1 oz Fuggles 1min

Grains steeped at 155 for 30 min.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG was 1.043 (pretty close to 1.047).


I don't expect this to turn out as good as the original recipe. Probably won't have that nutty flavour I was hoping for. Nevertheless I am excited. Your thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #77
jgilbreth
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
St Louis Area
Posts: 78
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289 View Post
What are some alternatives that I can use for Melanoidin part of the Special Roast Malt sustitution?
Redbeard5289
I used Victory instead of the Special Roast. It's a pretty common substitution from what I can find. May sacrifice some of the redness.

I just cracked open the first bottle of this after 1 week of conditioning. I know some people might assault me for that, but I like to check that it's carbonating and see how the flavor evolves over time. It's worth a few bottles to me.

It seems like it will turn out great, pretty close to the color I was looking for, and that unique red ale taste is definitely in there. Still pretty sweet, and a touch of the "green apple" taste which should go away with time. Carbonation still pretty light.

I do have a question though, my basement is staying down around 55 degrees, which is probably slowing the conditioning. Anyone have experience at that low of a temp for this type of ale?
__________________
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout
Next Up: Orange Blossom Honey Hef

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilbreth View Post
I used Victory instead of the Special Roast. It's a pretty common substitution from what I can find. May sacrifice some of the redness.

I just cracked open the first bottle of this after 1 week of conditioning. I know some people might assault me for that, but I like to check that it's carbonating and see how the flavor evolves over time. It's worth a few bottles to me.

It seems like it will turn out great, pretty close to the color I was looking for, and that unique red ale taste is definitely in there. Still pretty sweet, and a touch of the "green apple" taste which should go away with time. Carbonation still pretty light.

I do have a question though, my basement is staying down around 55 degrees, which is probably slowing the conditioning. Anyone have experience at that low of a temp for this type of ale?
Bring it upstairs for 14 days, (~68F) then put it back downstairs until you start packing the fridge.
__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #79
jamie3
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 142
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie3 View Post
I brewed this up last night. Had to make a few substitutions:

6 lb LME
0.5 lb Caramel Pils
0.5 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings 60min
1 oz Fuggles 1min

Grains steeped at 155 for 30 min.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG was 1.043 (pretty close to 1.047).


I don't expect this to turn out as good as the original recipe. Probably won't have that nutty flavour I was hoping for. Nevertheless I am excited. Your thoughts?
this thing is brewing like mad in my basement!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #80

Thats awesome. A good active ferment means you got healthy yeast and soon to be very tasty beer!!
__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's Schlenkerla Homebrew Ale Recipes 105 03-10-2015 10:37 PM
First Irish Red Ale Extract Kit tg123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-31-2013 09:49 PM
Quaffable Tettnanger Help? carrotmalt Recipes/Ingredients 20 12-23-2010 12:52 AM
Quaffable agroff383 General Beer Discussion 13 04-30-2009 04:15 AM
You know the problem with quaffable beer? EdWort Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 8 04-07-2007 04:58 PM


Forum Jump