Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract) - Page 22 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #211
smata67
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
northern va
Posts: 323
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Every bit as good as claimed, lacing all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Will definitely brew again soon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #212
nos33
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Orem, Utah
Posts: 208
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


this is your recipe

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350


I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #213
Irisndfan2
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176

Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #214
terrapinj
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,416
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


went and picked up the ingredients for this on saturday at my LHBS

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

will this significantly change the profile of the beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #215
RogueVassar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Northfield, Minnesota
Posts: 162
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.
I doubt the extract will have much affect. The willamette will change the character but I bet it will taste great (wish I could try it!). It will still be a malty beer just with a bit more American taste. I'm interested to hear back about it once you try it.
__________________
Member of the Milltown Mashers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #216
IndyMatt
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Indianapolis
Posts: 25

My LBS only had the 3.3lb LME Briess jars, would adding 6.6 instead of 6.0 of LME be an issue? I can measure it out but if it isn't going to be a big deal then I won't go to the trouble.

Looking forward to this one!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #217
smata67
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
northern va
Posts: 323
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
My LBS only had the 3.3lb LME Briess jars, would adding 6.6 instead of 6.0 of LME be an issue? I can measure it out but if it isn't going to be a big deal then I won't go to the trouble.

Looking forward to this one!
Use it all, you'll be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #218
Irisndfan2
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176

how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #219
Boston85
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Boston
Posts: 86

I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos33 View Post
this is your recipe

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350


I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts
Use the irish ale yeast. The missing malt will leave out the roasted taste. Not a bad change but it won't be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.
The hops will not change it much if you add the right amount. If the alfa acid of the hop is way different it can change the ibu or effect the bitterness. As for the malt the beer will be lighter in taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
went and picked up the ingredients for this on saturday at my LHBS

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

will this significantly change the profile of the beer?
Special B will make it taste quite different. It will have a raison-like taste to it afterwards. Thats not necessarily bad. Just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.
Use five oz of corn sugar to prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston85 View Post
I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?
Your problem is that 62f was too cold. Its sweet because it wasn't done fermenting. Now that is carbbed its alittle late to do much of anything. You could yank it from the fridge, let warm up, siphon back to a fermenter, after a few days repitch some yeast. It can't tell you how it will turn out after all of that. Id do that rather than drink sweet beer.
__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's Schlenkerla Homebrew Ale Recipes 105 03-10-2015 10:37 PM
First Irish Red Ale Extract Kit tg123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-31-2013 09:49 PM
Quaffable Tettnanger Help? carrotmalt Recipes/Ingredients 20 12-23-2010 12:52 AM
Quaffable agroff383 General Beer Discussion 13 04-30-2009 04:15 AM
You know the problem with quaffable beer? EdWort Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 8 04-07-2007 04:58 PM


Forum Jump