Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #131
pwndabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

just to keep up to date, SG is still 1.012, Im going to rack to the secondary on sunday and will undoubtedly be trying some.

I am relatively new to this so i am worried that i may have oxidized the wort by stirring while it was in the icebath to "aerate" and help cool while it was still too warm. Let's hope for the best on that...

Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #132
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
just to keep up to date, SG is still 1.012, Im going to rack to the secondary on sunday and will undoubtedly be trying some.

I am relatively new to this so i am worried that i may have oxidized the wort by stirring while it was in the icebath to "aerate" and help cool while it was still too warm. Let's hope for the best on that...
RDWAHAHB.

Oxygen is good for your beer before/during/just after you pitch your yeast. You'll be fine.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #133
pwndabear
Recipes 

From Palmers book, How to Brew. This is what got me worried a bit. Not too much, but just enough...

"You should not aerate when the wort is hot, or even warm. Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80F.

Oxidation of your wort can happen in several ways. The first is by splashing or aerating the wort while it is hot. Other beginning-brewing books advocate pouring the hot wort after the boil into cold water in the fermenter to cool it and add oxygen for the yeast. Unfortunately the wort may still be hot enough to oxidize when it picks up oxygen from the splashing. Pouring it down the side of the bucket to minimize splashing doesn't really help either since this increases the surface area of the wort exposed to the air. Thus it is important to cool the wort rapidly to below 80F to prevent oxidation, and then aerate it to provide the dissolved oxygen that the yeast need. Cooling rapidly between 90 and 140F is important because this temperature region is ideal for bacterial growth to establish itself in the wort."

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #134
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I can understand your concern, but if all you did was stir during the cooldown phase, you're fine. I've made over 25 batches doing the same thing - stirring while using an immersion chiller - and I've had no problems or evidence of a botched beer due to oxidation. IMO, you really should worry about oxygen getting into your beer during and after fermentation has set in. But even a little splish splash (like when you move your carboy to get into a position to bottle/keg) won't harm your beer.

In fact, Jamil's recirculation/whirlpool/immersion chiller design kinda goes against Palmer's philosophy, in a sense.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #135
pwndabear
Recipes 

SG 1.012 still (as of yesterday). Im definitely racking on sunday; it looks like a freakin' firetruck it's so red!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #136
IncredibleMulk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to pop back in on this recipe, I brewed this in January and was pretty slow getting it into the keg from primary. Well, the keg is about empty now but it is better than ever. I highly recommend this recipe as many of my friends have tried my version of this and I have NEVER heard a negative comment about it.

Thanks Schlenkerla for a fabulous recipe!

Tap 1: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 2: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 3: Stout Blackula
Tap 4: Lederhosen Dropper

Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #137
pwndabear
Recipes 

just racked to secondary. SG was still 1.012. One thing I did very differently, i realize, is i used light lme as opposed to gold american; we'll see how that changes the final product.

Had to have a sample of course. It is very light bodied at this point, a very deep brownish red, but has an excellent taste to it. I'll post pics in a couple weeks when i bottle.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #138
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleMulk View Post
Just wanted to pop back in on this recipe, I brewed this in January andy was pretty slow getting it into the keg from primary. Well, the keg is about emputy now but it is better than ever. I highly recommend this recipe as many of my friends have tried my version of this and I have NEVER heard a negative comment about it.

Thanks Schlenkerla for a fabulous recipe!
You are more than welcome!

I need to make this again. I really like this beer. Its a good beginners beer too. It has some good taste complexity but its not difficult to make.

Cheers!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #139
pwndabear
Recipes 

What do you guys think about dry hopping this beer?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #140
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
What do you guys think about dry hopping this beer?
An oz or two of willamette would be purdy good!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|