Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WYeast 1272 American Ale II
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
My Goof! - Fermentation time is in weeks....

Irish Red Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-D Scottish And Irish Ale, Irish Red Ale

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 17 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.01
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.68
Anticipated SRM: 10.3
Anticipated IBU: 20.6
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 2.35 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.100 SG 23.75 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 1 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Des Moines Water 4-07
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 61.2 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 37.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 14.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 49.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 33.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 138.5 ppm

pH: 9.57

Notes
-----

Wyeast #1272 American Ale Yeast II. Fruitier and more flocculant than 1056,
slightly nutty, soft, clean, slightly tart finish. Flocculation: high. App
arent attenuation: 72-76%. Optimum temperature: 60-72.

Prime w/ 5 oz corn sugar

YOU CAN PM ME FOR AN AG RECIPE OF THIS.

You'll like it a lot!

My HB Club had a Secret-Santa Beer Exchange at Christmas. This is the beer I chose to give. We also drank this New Years and it was a big hit. My secret Santa person spoke of it at this week's club meeting, again the whole group wanted a taste. They suggested I enter this beer a competition.

The 4 specialty grains give it good flavor and drinkability. The gravity isn't too big so you can have a couple too w/o getting overly buzzed. The IBU is low so most BMC drinkers will appreciate it if they can get past the color. It has a very deep red color.

Tell me how you like it after you have it bottled or kegged.

:mug:

Damn - I just remembered I drank my last bottle yesterday! - I had a friend over and wanted to open this one. I was saving this for St Pattys. Oh-Well, the Pub Ale will have to have some green food color added to it!!

This looks good! I'm going to brew it next. I've been trying to locate/buy all the ingredients, but for the life of me I can't figure out what this stuff is:

Caramel Pils Malt Belgium

I don't know if there's more stuff there and Promash chopped it off, or if I'm just an idiot and can't find it. Looked all over midwest's website under grains and extracts and no dice. :eek:

Thanks for anyone who helps me out :D

Tyson

This looks good! I'm going to brew it next. I've been trying to locate/buy all the ingredients, but for the life of me I can't figure out what this stuff is:

Caramel Pils Malt Belgium

I don't know if there's more stuff there and Promash chopped it off, or if I'm just an idiot and can't find it. Looked all over midwest's website under grains and extracts and no dice. :eek:

Thanks for anyone who helps me out :D

Tyson

Tyson - You can buy this on the northern brewer website. NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Malts
Dingemans Caramel Pils. 6° L. Caramel Pils is a halfway point between dextrin malt and true caramel malt. This grain differs from Briess Carapils in that Dingemans Caramel Pils contributes a subtle caramel flavor. The malting process creates a 'floury' endosperm that will yield fermentable sugars when mashed with diastatic malt. Steep Caramel Pils in quantities under a pound to add a light caramel flavor, but mash it with other grains for the full effect.
Its like carapils & caramel malt 10L. So a 50/50 blend of each would work well. This is what I did on my last batch. Got it from the LHBS.

Keep me in the loop as to how it turns out! I made this as a baby beer for my son. Too bad it'll all be gone before he's 6 months old!!

I'm giving them away in place of cigars!!!

Czech Saying: Blessed is the woman who gives birth to a brewer!

I'm fairly new to the home brew lifestyle. Am I reading this correctly? This beer will be done fermenting in 3 days? What temp?

Ooopps! No that's weeks. Unfortunately there is no easy way to change this. I've asked a mod to fix it for me.

1 day : should say 7days

2 days : should say 14 days

Temp for both - 67F +/-5F

I stopped by my local home brew store to pickup everything I need to make this beer but I had to make a few substitutions due to not being able to find some ingredients. My subs are as follows:

Fuggles hops for goldings
crystal/caramel malt for carapils (store owner subbed and I didn't notice until I got home)
WYeast 1968 London ESB for WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Does this sound alright or did I screw up? I also couldn't find the American Special Roast Malt. The store owner recommended Victory Malt but I decided I'd check for a few "second opinions" first. Any ideas?

Also, I am new to extract brewing so I have a few questions. Do i just steep the grains or do I actually want to boil them? What temp should I steep/boil them at? Should I add them to the grain bag all at once? I just brewed an extract beer with a friend, we brought 2.5 gallons of water up to 165°F, then added all grains to a grain bag and dropped them in. We then held the water at 155°F for 1/2 hour. Afterwards we pulled out the grain bag and dropped it into a second pot containing 1 gallon of hot water for a 15 minute soak. We then combined the two pots of water, brought it all to a rolling boil and added the DME. We held the boil for 60 minutes (adding hops at the appropriate times). When that was done we cooled the wort in an ice water bath, transfered it to the primary and brought the volume up to 5 gal. Does this sound about right?

I stopped by my local home brew store to pickup everything I need to make this beer but I had to make a few substitutions due to not being able to find some ingredients. My subs are as follows:

Fuggles hops for goldings
crystal/caramel malt for carapils (store owner subbed and I didn't notice until I got home)
WYeast 1968 London ESB for WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Does this sound alright or did I screw up? I also couldn't find the American Special Roast Malt. The store owner recommended Victory Malt but I decided I'd check for a few "second opinions" first. Any ideas?

They subbed you alright... They gave you a different beer.

Fuggles for Goldings is ok the alpha acids are about the same and flavors are both mild & pleasant

The 1968 ESB will work but 1056 would have been better sub for 1272.

The carapils & crystal sub should work too. Assuming he picked a low lovibond like 5 or 10.

Regarding the Special Roast & Victory. Special roast is twice as dark as victory. Victory is not the best substitute. If he has Melanoidin, I would try that for the special roast it will add some maltiness and red color.

I didn't realize this, I have been told victory & biscuit are about the same, so what did he want to give you for the biscuit?

If you have all the ingredients I'd go ahead and brew it up. Its not gonna be the same beer but it will probably turn out nice. I not sure if it will be red though if you can't add Special Roast or Melanoidin. If he has neither sub 40-60L Crystal Malt or CaraMunich. I'd do the CaraMunich over the crystal malt.

You might ask yourself if you like the shop because he subbed 4 of the 7 ingredients!! He essentially created a different beer for you. How willing were you to go along with him? I would have asked that he get these ingredients. None are really out of line or all that unusual. If he doesn't have special roast I wonder if he'll have melanoidin or caramunich.

As for the use of the grain, bag it and drop it in 2.0 gallons of cold water bring it up to 150-160F and hold the temp for about 30 minutes then yank it out lettting it drip and don't squeeze the bag. Bring your wort to a boil (KILL THE HEAT) add the extract (mixing really well to prevent burning the extract), bring to a boil again, add 1st bit of hops and start timing. Add the last hops at the last 5 minutes.

If you got more Q's let me know.

Yeah, I wasn't real impressed with the store owner's attitude towards substitutions. He wanted to sub everything it seemed. The worst part is he has the best selection in the city! I knew I had to sub the hops as I couldn't find goldings anywhere. The crystal/caramel malt substitution was a disappointment as he said he had carapils when I phoned. I'm not sure if it was an honest mistake, lack of knowledge or just wanting to make a sale on his part. I didn't even notice that one until I got home (and I'm not thrilled about it to be honest). As for the yeast I accepted his recommendation on that one. I'm going to see if he has the other yeast. I am also going to try to track down the special roast malt as well since I am really looking for a red beer.

So honest opinion: If I can't find the yeast and the special roast malt do I brew this bad boy up as? Or should I put the malt in a clean dry place, toss the yeast in the fridge and save them for another project?

So honest opinion: If I can't find the yeast and the special roast malt do I brew this bad boy up as? Or should I put the malt in a clean dry place, toss the yeast in the fridge and save them for another project?

Get his best sub based on my comments and brew it up. I won't be bad in fact it might turn out pretty good and a bit red too.

I think the extra specialty grains give the beer a lot of character.

If you do this, post again with pictures and tasting notes.

BTW - Never boil grain. It can make the beer very astringent.

I'm becoming very frustrated. No one in my city sells WYeast except the store I've already been to. Everyone seems to think the Caramel Pils Malt is Crystal/Caramel Malt. the Crystal/Caramel malt I was sold has a lovibond of 40 (I checked). No one in town has Special Roast Malt, Melanoidin or Caramunich. When I asked for an alternative to Special Roast the store I was at recommended Victory. When I asked the same guy for an alternative to Melanoidin he recommended Malt Munich 90.

I was really hoping to brew this weekend (GF is out of town) but it looks like it might be a bust. What do you think? Any suggestions? I have:

WYeast 1968 London ESB

6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
1 lb Crystal/Caramel malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1oz Fuggles hops
1 oz Willamette hops

and I can get Victory or Malt Munich 90. Is there any way I can salvage this and make something?

I'm becoming very frustrated. No one in my city sells WYeast except the store I've already been to. Everyone seems to think the Caramel Pils Malt is Crystal/Caramel Malt. the Crystal/Caramel malt I was sold has a lovibond of 40 (I checked). No one in town has Special Roast Malt, Melanoidin or Caramunich. When I asked for an alternative to Special Roast the store I was at recommended Victory. When I asked the same guy for an alternative to Melanoidin he recommended Malt Munich 90.

I was really hoping to brew this weekend (GF is out of town) but it looks like it might be a bust. What do you think? Any suggestions? I have:

WYeast 1968 London ESB

6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
1 lb Crystal/Caramel malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1oz Fuggles hops
1 oz Willamette hops

and I can get Victory or Malt Munich 90. Is there any way I can salvage this and make something?

OK - Use the yeast you got 1068. If you don't want to it then use S-05 dry yeast.

For the carmel pils do 50/50 carapils and crystal 10L

Go with the victory malt in place of special roast.

You'll be OK with that.

If you absolutely want the exact ingredients you can also by this online at Northern Brewer.

If you do these subs it'll be OK. It'll be your special twist. :rockin:

I've contacted a local brewing club to see if any of their members might be able to help me out. So far I managed to find some Caramunich so I can use that if I can't find Special Roast. I'm still looking for caramel pils or carapils & crystal 10L though. If I can track that down I'm going to brew with the yeast and hops I have. So my variation will be:

Fuggles hops in place of Goldings
Caramunich in place of Special Roast (unless I can find Melanoidin)
WYeast 1968 in place of 1272

We'll see how that turns out. Next time I brew I plan on doing this recipe properly, then I can compare.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how my "Substitution Irish Red" turns out.

You have the hops, base malt, and decent yeast so whatever you make should be pretty good. The twist will be on the specialty malts. Since they are not a prominent part of the recipe the variation will not be all that bad.

At least you got the chocolate malt. What you are missing is the low & mid range lovibond grains. With subbing those the flavor and color will be different, but definately NOT bad.

BTW - carapils is a trade name for dextrine malt.

I made this once with 50/50 carapils & 10L crystal. It didn't change it much. The special roast sub will be the determining factor.

There's no need to thank me, but that's much appreciated. Hope you get those other ingredients.

Good Luck :mug:

Ok. I'm sure you're getting tired of this already but here's the latest. Thanks to a tip from a local homebrewer I was able to locate a shop in a nearby city (5 hours away) that had carapils, crystal 15L (I know, a little too dark), melanoidin, caramunich & Wyeast 1056. I am having him express ship everything to my workplace. Sounds like I'll have it by Friday.

So I think I'm going to use the 1056 Yeast, fuggles hops in place of the goldings, a 50/50 mix of carapils and crystal 15L in place of the caramel pilsner and either melanoidin or caramunich in place of the special roast (any suggestions? Maybe 50/50?). Thought I'd get your opinion one last time.

So I think I'm going to use the 1056 Yeast, fuggles hops in place of the goldings, a 50/50 mix of carapils and crystal 15L in place of the caramel pilsner and either melanoidin or caramunich in place of the special roast (any suggestions? Maybe 50/50?). Thought I'd get your opinion one last time.

I think the 50/50 sounds good. That's in both cases.

Well I brewed my version of this beer up this weekend. As per your suggestions I used the 1056 Yeast, fuggles hops in place of the goldings, a 50/50 mix of carapils and crystal 15L in place of the caramel pilsner and a 50/50 mix of the melanoidin and caramunich in place of the special roast. The brew day went fairly flawlessly except that I found it hard to maintain a constant temperature with my electric stove (first time brewing on it). All in all I think I did alright though. Looks like it might even be a little red! Fermentation took a little time to really get started but appears to be well on its way. Not too shabby for my first partial extract brew. Really looking forward to drinking it. Let's just hope it turns out (wish me luck).

Thanks again for all the help.

Its gonna be awesome! Glad to hear it went pretty well.

Now the hardest part, the wait.... Hmmm, what should I be thinking of making next????

Well it's been nearly three weeks. The beer spent a week in the primary and almost two weeks in the secondary. I would have like to let it sit for a few more days but I am going to be away from home for a while so I decided to bottle yesterday. Racked the beer on top of some corn sugar (that was boiled in water for 5 minutes, then cooled) and stole the obligatory half pint for sampling (of course).

I had a friend over to help with bottling duties and split the half pint with him. We both agreed that the beer was quite good (albeit flat). I had about 2 pints left in the bottom of the bottling bucket when I ran out of bottles. When I said I'd just dump the rest my friend said "no way you're tossing that, pour it in a glass and bring it here!". About 5 minutes later he said "you'd better brew more soon cuz this stuff isn't going to last".

I apologize I didn't post a pic but the camera batteries were dead. I'll make sure it's ready when I crack a bottle in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all the help. I think this beer is going to be great!

Well it's been nearly three weeks. The beer spent a week in the primary and almost two weeks in the secondary. I would have like to let it sit for a few more days but I am going to be away from home for a while so I decided to bottle yesterday. Racked the beer on top of some corn sugar (that was boiled in water for 5 minutes, then cooled) and stole the obligatory half pint for sampling (of course).

I had a friend over to help with bottling duties and split the half pint with him. We both agreed that the beer was quite good (albeit flat). I had about 2 pints left in the bottom of the bottling bucket when I ran out of bottles. When I said I'd just dump the rest my friend said "no way you're tossing that, pour it in a glass and bring it here!". About 5 minutes later he said "you'd better brew more soon cuz this stuff isn't going to last".

I apologize I didn't post a pic but the camera batteries were dead. I'll make sure it's ready when I crack a bottle in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all the help. I think this beer is going to be great!

I'm glad to hear it turned out well. That's awesome. Now for the agonizing wait for carbonation!

Let me know how it tastes in a few weeks.

Well the beer has been bottle conditioned for almost 2 months. I've been very impressed with this beer. Will definitely brew this one again.

I've uploaded a couple of pictures into my gallery for those who are interested.

Your Ingredients
Type Name Amount Price
Grain 5.0000 Cooper's Light Liquid Extract 6lbs oz
Grain 8.0000 Caramel Pils lbs 8oz
Grain 22.5000 Biscuit lbs 2oz
Grain 412.0000 Simpsons Chocolate lbs 2oz
Grain 50.0000 Briess Special Roast Malt lbs 4oz
Hops Kent Goldings, UK Pellets - 1 oz oz min
Hops Williamette Pellets - 1 oz oz min
Yeast Wyeast Labs GF All American Ale ea
Total

I used Brew master brew builder and this is what I came up with does this look right. not sure on the liquid extract. but it was what I could come up with in the ingredient list. and I think that it is 2 cans 6.6 lbs not just 6. let me know what you think

Looks right on with exception for the extract. The little extra bit shouldn't hurt at all.

Per Your PM - Make sure to boil 2 gal when starting out, this should be just fine for hop utilization. My goof on the fermentation. Those are weeks!

BTW - the 1 minute hop addition is for aroma & taste.

So here is what I ended up with.

2 cans Coopers amber. 6.6lbs
Cara-Pils 8oz
Special Roast 4oz
Biscuit 2oz
Chocolate 2oz
UK Kent Golding 5aa
Willamette 5.8 aa

Yeast wyeast 1332 Northwest closest I cold come to the original from my LHBS.

So I steeped for 30 mins, but had some heat control issues I think the temp was a bit closer to 78* brought to a boil after steep. and added the extract. I brought back to boil then pitched the Kent golding for 60 mins. at the 55 min mark I added the Willamette, for 5 min add. cooled in Ice bath for about 20 to 25 mins to 80* and added to the cold water. Boiled with 2 gallons of water.

I would like to know what you think about the recipe. :mug::mug:

So here is what I ended up with.

2 cans Coopers amber. 6.6lbs
Cara-Pils 8oz
Special Roast 4oz
Biscuit 2oz
Chocolate 2oz
UK Kent Golding 5aa
Willamette 5.8 aa

Yeast wyeast 1332 Northwest closest I cold come to the original from my LHBS.

So I steeped for 30 mins, but had some heat control issues I think the temp was a bit closer to 78* brought to a boil after steep. and added the extract. I brought back to boil then pitched the Kent golding for 60 mins. at the 55 min mark I added the Willamette, for 5 min add. cooled in Ice bath for about 20 to 25 mins to 80* and added to the cold water. Boiled with 2 gallons of water.

I would like to know what you think about the recipe. :mug::mug:

The ingredients are fine, should be good. How did you steep the grain? Explain that highlighted comment.

Whats typical for most of us who steep grains with extract is that one just adds the grain to a bag, drops it in the room temp water, stirs and brings the water up to 150'F. After about 30 min of total steeping time we yank the grains out of the kettle. I sometimes let it steep at 150 for 30 minutes. I don't know that it matters.

Everything else sounds right. I think even if you steeped at a cooler temp you probably got the color and roasted-toasted flavor out of the grains.

I usually steep my gains at 170 for 30 mins. My mistake I was closer to 178 for about 27 minutes.

I usually steep my gains at 170 for 30 mins. My mistake I was closer to 178 for about 27 minutes.

If you have had success at 170 you are probably OK. 170-178 is a bit high, not too much out of the realm for sparge temps. You should steep at a lower temp so you don't extract tannins. You will know if you have, it will have this acrid bitterness unlike that of hops. I'd shoot for 150F in the future.

Let me know how it tastes once you got this bottled or kegged.

Just tasted this from my first attempt at the original extract recipe...

Awesome!! This is the first homebrew I've made that was actually good and that I'd be willing to share with someone else. Hooray for good beer!

Just tasted this from my first attempt at the original extract recipe...

Awesome!! This is the first homebrew I've made that was actually good and that I'd be willing to share with someone else. Hooray for good beer!

Makes ya feel mighty proud doesn't it! :rockin:

:mug:

Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012

Mine started at 1.048 and ended at 1.008 after 2 weeks in primary at 68 degrees.
Sitting in secondaty to clarify now, and looking great!

Will be tapping the keg on 8/21 when my mom comes to town.

I haven't brewed your exact recipe yet, but my first homebrew was a very similar kit sold by Northern Brewer. Your hop bill is slightly different than theirs, but the grain bill is identical. Even though it was my first batch, it is still my favorite. I brewed an AG version of the Northern Brewer recipe about 3 weeks ago, but subbed Fuggle for Kent Goldings. The samples have been good and I will be putting it on gas in a couple of days. Hopefully it will beat out my first batch.

Pulled my first pint last night, beautiful color, excelent aroma and taste. I will probably pull another pint tonight, and post a picture of a beautiful glass of this taste of heaven. (I couldn't wait another week for my mom to get here before trying it)

This beer is EXCELENT after a month of cold conditioning. Came out crystal clear, beautiful color, and BJCP scored a 39.

Back