American Amber Ale House Amber (AG & Extract) - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Amber Ale House Amber (AG & Extract)

Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #81
CrookedTail

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Patchogue, NY
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post

Sounds like a go. Do it man!

Then let us know your results.
Finally got to trying this. Basically a cross between an existing 15 minute Pale Ale recipe on this site, and your Amber. I used darker crystal malt to make it more of a West Coast Red. It's fermenting right now, and smells awesome!

Here is what I brewed:

Hop Burst Red

Fermentables
6.3 lbs Amber LME (half @ 15, half @ flame out)
1 lb Amber DME (add @ 15)
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 oz debittered black malt

Hops
2 oz Cascade (7.3 AAU) @ 15 min
2 oz Cascade (7.3 AAU) @ 5 min

Yeast
US-05

OG: 1.055
IBU: 38
SRM: 14.8

Not sure, but I may dry hop this. Worried it might be overkill, as all of the late additions will contribute a lot of flavor and aroma.

Like I said, the aroma from the fermenter smells great. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #82

If you have fresh whole leaf hops, cascade. Do the dry hopping. If all you have is pellet then I would say no. Dry hopping with pellets is kind of a pain.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #83
CrookedTail

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Patchogue, NY

Quote:
If you have fresh whole leaf hops, cascade. Do the dry hopping. If all you have is pellet then I would say no. Dry hopping with pellets is kind of a pain.
I dry hop with pellets all the time. I put a nylon paint strainer over my siphon to filter out the hops.

That said, I have about a pound of fresh cascades that my brother-in-law gave to me from his yard. Maybe I'll use some of those in this beer.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post

I dry hop with pellets all the time. I put a nylon paint strainer over my siphon to filter out the hops.

That said, I have about a pound of fresh cascades that my brother-in-law gave to me from his yard. Maybe I'll use some of those in this beer.
In that case definitely use the fresh whole hops. It will be awesome....

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #85
SevenFields

Recipes 

May 2009
Topeka, KS
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

A new homebrew store is opening up in town next week and I plan on getting the ingredients to make this.
I like simple good recipes like this!!! Thanks
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #86
CrookedTail

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Patchogue, NY

Quote:
In that case definitely use the fresh whole hops. It will be awesome....
I had used some of those hops in an IPA, but I guess I did a poor job of getting the air out of the bag for the hops that were left over, because when I opened the bag to dry-hop this beer, they looked kind of nasty.

So I ended up going to my LHBS, and they had some fresh Nugget hops from a local farm. I threw two ounces of them into the fermenter.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post

I had used some of those hops in an IPA, but I guess I did a poor job of getting the air out of the bag for the hops that were left over, because when I opened the bag to dry-hop this beer, they looked kind of nasty.

So I ended up going to my LHBS, and they had some fresh Nugget hops from a local farm. I threw two ounces of them into the fermenter.
If they smell like cheese then they are spoiled. Nugget is not a bad choice. I have done pale ales with nuggets. They have high alpha acids for bittering. They smell pretty good.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #88
CrookedTail

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Patchogue, NY

Finally gave it a try. The combo of amber extract, C60, and pinch of debittered black malt produced a gorgeous red color. And the nugget hops gave it a pleasant nose.

But at the moment, I'd say it's just Ok flavor-wise. It definitely seems more bitter than 35 IBUs. I think it still is a little green, to be honest. Also, there is a very slight yeast flavored aftertaste.

Like I said, it may still be a bit green. So I'm going to give it a few weeks to mellow out.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #89
CrookedTail

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Patchogue, NY

A few weeks later, and this beer has improved quite a bit! The yeasty aftertaste is gone. It is still pretty bitter, but in a good way. And it is crystal clear. It's beautiful-looking.

I'd say this is a definite re-brew. I might try using Amarillo or Centennial hops next time, just to see the difference it makes.

Here's how it looks:

Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #90
boozecruz
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Been thinking of doing an adaptation of this recipe. I'm not a HUGE fan of bitter, so I did lower the amounts of the hops to fit my taste profile based on what I have had in the past. (going low, can always up them later)

This is also a 3 gallon batch, rather than the 5 gallon batch that is listed. No 5 gallon carboy yet.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham Dry
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 3
Original Gravity: 1.053 (per BeerSmith)
Final Gravity: n/a
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 11.6 SRM
IBU: 15.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: Unsure as of yet

3.5# Amber DME
8 oz. Crystal 40L
4 oz. Victory
4 oz. CaraPils

.25 oz Cascade (60 mins)
.25 oz Cascade (5 mins)
.25 oz Cascade (Flameout)

30 Minute steep at 155 F

I added the victory to add the extra depth, and I do like a bit of a bready/biscuity taste, just a hint.

Any opinions to this inexperienced brewer as to if this is worth the $20 in supplies and 3 hours of a precious weekend off? (which are 1 out of 3 off is all)

Schif