Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First time lagering

Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time lagering

Making my first lager beer! Also first time making a starter for any beer. I have a few questions.
1. Will a lager starter take longer to be at a good rate for pitching then an ale. Or can I pitch it after 2 days?
2. Will my lager yeast settle out if I chill it to 40 degress temps like an ale, so I can pour off most of the starter beer when pitching.
3. Will lagers look different while fermenting. Specifically no Kreusan? I no they ferment at the bottom instead of the top. Is that what it means?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf191
Making my first lager beer! Also first time making a starter for any beer. I have a few questions.
1. Will a lager starter take longer to be at a good rate for pitching then an ale. Or can I pitch it after 2 days?
2. Will my lager yeast settle out if I chill it to 40 degress temps like an ale, so I can pour off most of the starter beer when pitching.
3. Will lagers look different while fermenting. Specifically no Kreusan? I no they ferment at the bottom instead of the top. Is that what it means?
1) Not if you ferment your starter at room temp which is fine to do
2) I crash chill mine to 34-36F
3) They will not have the vigorous fermentation you are use to with ales. I pitch according to MrMalty.com calculator and in 24 hours you see a few patches of foam on the surface. By 48-72 hours a krausen forms but it is mostly clean looking foam rather then foam + yeast (top fermenters) like you see with ales

GT