OK folks. I am brewing something with hints from this recipe and decided to caramelize my own sugar as suggested. Thought I would add some tips
- If you think you're going to do this at 350 degrees in the oven, get out a good book, cause you'll be there all day. 425-450 degrees minimum.
- don't pre-heat the oven, the edges of your sugar may burn quickly
- level out the sugar as much as possible. I put a pound of sugar in a foil "boat" on a thick cookie sheet with silpat layer, on a pizza stone, in a high end convection oven...
- Rotate the pan a couple of times to evenly heat
- stir with a temp tolerant spatula (silicone)
- once it cures, you can cut off (or break off) and burnt edges outside of your color range preference.
I started with 16 ounces, ended up with 14.4 ounces. Good enough for me, but if you are worried about hitting your recipe dead on, I would use more sugar than you need and then you can back-adjust after you have caramelized accordingly.