Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My ciders have been in primary for months

Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
1fastdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default My ciders have been in primary for months

I'm wondering if they will still be able to carbonate in the bottle.

One is a five gallon batch of Ed's Apfelwein using the Montrachet wine yeast and 1lb of sugar instead of 2. It is on week 9 or 10.

The other is a one gallon batch of pear cider using the Cote de Blanc yeast. It is probably on week 12.

I had planned to bottle the pear cider at 4 weeks in late December but it was still very cloudy so I waited a bit. Unfortunately, life got a little busy and the ciders were essentially forgotten. A friend of mine recommended adding a little yeast when I bottle.

My guess is that the Apfelwein will be fine if I just go ahead and bottle it but the pear may need a little help. Should I add yeast when I bottle?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
placervilledan
Recipes 

That length of time shouldn't be a problem at all. Some people have left stuff for a year or more and still carbonated. With your perry, was it straight juice/yeast, or did you add ther ingredients to your recipe?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by placervilledan
That length of time shouldn't be a problem at all. Some people have left stuff for a year or more and still carbonated. With your perry, was it straight juice/yeast, or did you add ther ingredients to your recipe?
The pear was just a gallon of Gerber pear juice, about 4oz of corn sugar and the yeast. I'm concerned that the yeast will be dormant at this point.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Although many have gone a long period of time, there have been quite a few reports of lack of carbonation after something like the 3 to 4 month period. To play it safe it wouldn't hurt in the least to sprinkle some yeast (you only need a light sprinkling) to give you some extra insurance. If you want to carbonate it in a cool area, then Lager yeast is a great choice. I have only ever added yeast after extended Lagering to ensure carbonation, other than that most everything has carbonated fully.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Crossczek
Recipes 

I gererally wait 1 full year before bottleing my cycer and have never had it not carbonate in the bottle (with the typical 1 cup sugar per 5 gal). It takes a good 4-6 weeks, but it happens.

Good luck, and cheers!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

12 weeks is the norm for my cider. I do not need to add any additional yeast.

I would advise patience w/ carbing. Wait at least 3 weeks before popping the first one. Keep it warm for several months too. It gets monumentally better with time. I never fridge my cider until I getting below a 6er in the fridge.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a lot better.

Now I just need to find some time to bottle.