Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > 30 Minute Microwave Mozzarella

Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #61
Jif
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My mozzarella came out kind of like ricotta, real small loose curds. This this a milk problem or a process problem?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #62
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Superior, I might have to block the cheese forum. This and the chedder thread are about all I can handle. I gotta make some cheese.

I swear I have to find a hobby that is not going to make me weigh 400 lbs.

What's tappening? :D

Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #63
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5752 Times on 4120 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post
My mozzarella came out kind of like ricotta, real small loose curds. This this a milk problem or a process problem?
It could be either, but it sounds like the milk was Ultra Pasteurized. That milk just will not form a good clean break, or good curds.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #64
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I just made 30-min mozzarella this evening. It was quick, easy and very good. The curds looked like ricotta until I started pressing them together. I think you really need to avoid the temptation to stir the pot much. Just keep your heat low so the curds warm slowly. I may have screwed up but I only heated the curds for 1min in the microwave, kneaded them, then heated for an additional 35 sec. At that point I was able to knead them a few minutes then stretch them a considerable amount. I didn't heat them a 3rd time as recommended as the cheese looked really good by that point.

Now I am seeing if I can make whey ricotta and what it tastes like if I can.

<edit> Well I made ricotta, but not much. The result was about 1/2 cup of ricotta. The ricotta was pretty good, but different than the whole milk ricotta I usually buy at the store. It was very easy, heat the whey to about 200F, let sit for 5min then pour through a fine cheese cloth. Then hang to dry for 15min. However it took another hour to heat the whey slowly and drain the cheese. Its not really worth it for that much ricotta. If I make a 3+ gallon batch of hard cheese I will try again, perhaps with the addition of some whole milk to increase the yield.

Craig

Reason: added results

Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #65
NomNom
Recipes 

Hmm I have tried to make mozzarella before using a different recipe and it never turned out very good so I tried this recipe. I tried this one and I think I need to get a better quality milk because it did not form a very good curd.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #66
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
I didn't heat them a 3rd time as recommended as the cheese looked really good by that point.
Good call. I heated mine a third time, and TBH I think it made it slightly worse than it was before the third heating. I think it's easy to overcook it.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #67
NomNom
Recipes 

SUCCESS!! I tried this recipe again using Raw Milk, and it turned out great. I think the key (at least for me) was to let it sit longer than it said to let it form the curdle. I will post pics later if I don't eat it first!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #68
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Had my first success today! Whole Foods 365 whole milk. I added 1/4 tsp of lipase powder and about 1 tsp (eyeballed it) of calcium chloride to mine. Very tasty so far, though unfortunately I horked up my pizza crust so it's sitting in the fridge waiting for a serving vessel.

After the second microwaving it is nice and soft like what you get in a tub of fresh moz at the store. I kept going for the third microwaving/pull since I wanted it a little dry for pizza. Came out perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #69
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is cheesemaking.com the best place to get this kit? I always bulk when shipping is 50% of the cost of what I'm buying. Is there any chance of buying it at a local store, or even just the ingredients? I'm in Denver, CO.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #70
PWalk
Recipes 

Been watching this forum and decided to take the plunge since I'll be making pizza dough tonight anyway. Wish me luck, great thread.