Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will 1step stay viable
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How long will 1step stay viable

I mixed up a half gallon of 1 step in a plastic pitcher to sanitize my wine thief today. Can I just rinse the thief after using and put back in the same solution until tomorrow, when I plan to take another hydrometer reading, or do I need to mix up another batch of sanitizer then?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Ale's What Cures You!
Liked 6379 Times on 4542 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

The lady at my LHBS told me that one step is good as long as you hear the bubbles. I haven't tested it over a long period, but a day or two would be fine I would think.
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2899 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Back when I used to use one-step, before I learned about proper sanitization and switched to iodophor, I found that an open container of onestep maintained bubbles for 24 hours...So it would be longer in a closed contaier, but how much I couldn't say.

Here's a thread from earlier in the week where we talked about onestep versus other sanitizers
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew