I sure I made a save today. Please let me know if this made sense.
I was brewing two batches of this ale this weekend and picked up all of the ingredients last week to make a single batch at my local brew shop. When I brewed the first batch today I followed the recipe and added hops just as I should. Got it in the primary and it tasted horrible, way to bitter. Not sure if it was right since I never made it before.
I headed out to the store and picked up the stuff for the second batch and to my discovery the shop sells hops in one once packages - so I over-hopped the first batch significantly. Here is what it should have had, so you can see I had double the Saaz and Tettnang needed.
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)
So I made the second batch without those two hops. I stirred both well and transferred half of each into a carboy and then split it between the two back into the primaries. This way I got an even a mix as I could between the two and got good aeration.
Both tasted much better and the gravity for both was 1.048; right in the target range.
With crossed fingers, I learned a great lesson---ask how much of each I am getting and WRITE it down. This is a great shop and I am sure they told me last week to split the hops, but I sure did not remember it today.