Dark Owl Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
s-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days
Best stout I've ever had

16B. Stout, Sweet Stout
OG 1.060
FG 1.022
IBU 23
ABV 4.9 %
SRM 36

Specifics
Boil Volume 6.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.035 1.060 1.066
FG 1.010 1.022 1.022
IBU 20 23 40
SRM 36 35+
ABV 3 4.9 5.6

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
68.3 % 7.00 British Two-row Pale 39.9 3.5
9.8 % 1.00 British Crystal 50-60L 5.1 11.0
9.8 % 1.00 Lactose 9.2 0.2
7.3 % 0.75 Roasted Barley 3.3 67.5
4.9 % 0.50 British Pale Chocolate 2.6 20.0
10.25 60.0

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
100.0 % 0.50 Chinook Whole/Plug 12.6 6.3 60 0.239 22.5
0.50 22.5

Mash at 154f for 60minutes
Add lactose near end of boil

I'm looking to make a Chili Pepper Milk Stout. Do you think this would work for a base recipe? I currently do not have a base :(

I have had milk stouts before, I would say a milk stout is a bit sweeter than this particular sweet stout.

Course, you can always add more lactose after fermentation if you want it sweeter. I would use it as a base.

Hey, I just bottled up a sweet stout (it was actually a kit from NB, but next time I want to go a bit bigger, so will have to put a little investigation into a recipe). I am a bit worried that it is going to be too sweet, based on a surprisingly pleasant sweetness out of the secondary (where usually I'm grimacing at the uncarbonated warm beer, trying to imagine it chilled with carbonation). My OG was 1.050 and the FG was 1.024. This seems to be within your suggested range, but it also seems to be a small amount of attenuation from 1.050. So if it tastes sweet and creamy out of the secondary, is it going to be cloyingly sweet?

took a picture of the sweet blackness in the kettle. I'll have to post it on this thread. I added a pound of oats to the recipe, we'll see how it turns out.

I usually use S-04, US-05 or Nottingham. While all being a little different, they will all work. I want to try it with Irish Ale yeast, but have not had the opportunity yet

I am newbie in brewing.. do you really need chocolate inside your brew?
or it is an optional ingredient.

I brewed almost this exact recipe for the first time last weekend. I used Willamette instead of Chinook, and I used more Choco malt than Roasted Barley. I was thinking about adding Maltodextrin, but I'll have to let it be if it's good as is. I can't wait to give it a taste when I rack to secondary tomorrow.:mug:

I brewed almost this exact recipe for the first time last weekend. I used Willamette instead of Chinook, and I used more Choco malt than Roasted Barley. I was thinking about adding Maltodextrin, but I'll have to let it be if it's good as is. I can't wait to give it a taste when I rack to secondary tomorrow.:mug:

You won't need it. It is great as is. Let me know what you think of it.
I'll be kegging my latest batch up Friday:ban:

Oh yeah. It was just right going into the secondary on MLK day, so I didn't add the Maltodextrin. Had a good OG, good FG, tasted sweet and stouty, and I was happy.

I will bottle this coming weekend, after the Jupiter Craft Brewer's Fest. I have a Canadian and 2 work buddies waiting to taste this one. I hope the time passes fast, cause I'm out of HB.

Anybody got a picture of theirs to help me get through the wait? :(

If I only had a camera.
I kegged mine yesterday and did the "shake, rattle and roll method" and it's good to go today

A good palate cleanse from all the IPA's I've been having

did you taste it? S our milk Stout could be goood. Doesn't sound good but who knows. I need another black brew. My last porter was good but a little harsh. maybe I'll try this one.

Just bottled my first batch this past Sunday. I'll taste one this coming Sunday. Here are a few pics from brew to bottle.

Done sparging. Ready to boil.
3253872125_28805aabe6.jpg

Grain bed after sparging. Contains base, Crystal 60, choco, Cara-Pils, and roasted malts.
3253872195_5cafd12e26.jpg

Brought to a boil, then added bittering hops and lactose sugar.
3254699044_0a07875fd5.jpg

They're filled, but the caps still need to be crimped. I need to just buy kegs and a fridge.
3253872353_618a81bc9e.jpg

A little more prep before they go in the boxes.
3253872437_9818b65677.jpg

The bottom of the bottling bucket. Not too much loss.
3253872401_5e90a8dcdf.jpg

Warm and flat, yet sweet and stouty. Nice!
3253872471_c00ca439f0.jpg

Time for the boxes. Remember, if you don't rinse your bottle now, it just gets gross later.
3254699406_01531871ef.jpg

Jim,

2nd batch was not infected and it tastes great. Perfect balance of roasty, malty, and a bit of chocolate. The pound of lactose really makes it nice. I don't like sweet beers because you usually can't drink very many with out heartburn. This stout drinks well, and no heart burn.

niquejim,

You're right. Definitely not as sweet as Mackeson.

I agree with Brandon about the malt balance. You can taste all three, and there isn't too much of one or the other. It's got the sweetness, plus the boldness of the malts coming through a bit more (this is what reminds me of Left Hand).

I had one that was carbonated :cross:, and one that was still flat :(. I'll have to wait another couple weeks to open my 22s. Only filled 3, so I'll have to treat them extra special. :tank:

Just bottled my first batch this past Sunday. I'll taste one this coming Sunday. Here are a few pics from brew to bottle.

Done sparging. Ready to boil.
3253872125_28805aabe6.jpg

Grain bed after sparging. Contains base, Crystal 60, choco, Cara-Pils, and roasted malts.
3253872195_5cafd12e26.jpg

Brought to a boil, then added bittering hops and lactose sugar.
3254699044_0a07875fd5.jpg

They're filled, but the caps still need to be crimped. I need to just buy kegs and a fridge.
3253872353_618a81bc9e.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the pics. I didn't see cara-pils or dextrine in the original recipe? did you decide to add some on your own? how did it turn out? thanks!

I didn't find the Dark Owl recipe until after I brewed. This is the recipe I was going for originally.

7 lbs of Morris Otter
1 lbs of British Crystal
0.5 lbs of Roasted
0.5 lbs of Chocolate
1.5 lbs of Cara-Pils (not in Dark Owl)

1 lbs of Lactose
0.25 of Malto Dextrin (Didn't use this)
3 oz of Willamette for 8 HBU

Mash @ 155 F for 60 min
Add 1 tsp Irish Moss in the last 15 min

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.022

The only big differences are the Dextrin and Willamette.

The one I had last night had a nice brown head on it. Not sure how much of this is from the British Crystal or from the Dextrin. Also not sure how these two are different. I know they're both low in fermentables.

I am trying to enter this recipe into BeerSmith and Lactose is not listed anywhere. Am I just missing it somewhere, or will I need to add this. If I have to add it, does anyone have the specifics?

Thanks

I am trying to enter this recipe into BeerSmith and Lactose is not listed anywhere. Am I just missing it somewhere, or will I need to add this. If I have to add it, does anyone have the specifics?

Thanks

Late reply but click on Add Grain/Extract and look for Milk Sugar (Lactose).

What effeciency is this set at btw?

And I'm drinking one right now:)
With spring in the air it took me a while to get to the stout, but the temperature dropped into the low 50's today, so I was in the mood for a nice belly warmer. The Dark Owl Sweet Stout was the perfect choice. Very nice balance of low bitterness, malt and chocolate. Might be a hint of coffee in there. This is a recipe that I'll have to try. Only hope that I can duplicate this wonderful sample. Thanks for sharing.

This looks like an interesting recipe and think we might brew it up in the next few weeks so it's ready when our Chicago winter hits.

My brew partner is interested in splitting the batch in half in secondary and putting one half onto cherry purée. I've never drunk a milk cherry stout (let alone brewed one) and it sounds like it could be good - it's good to experiment! Any words of advice or counsel?

Cheers!

Just kegged this today. I'm impatient and always burst carb, so the carbonation isn't quite what it should be yet...but either way this beer is absolutely fantastic! It's definitely going to be a house staple. I wouldn't change a single thing.

Thanks Jim!

Back