Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Yeast Cake

Old 02-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
stevecaaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Using Yeast Cake

Hey all, I have been planning on reusing part of a yeast cake from a previous brew. I am planning on pulling the switch off in minimal time (racking off the old cake and pouring the new wort onto it). I have read a lot that pitching on an old yeast cake is considered overpitching. The cake is from a 1.067 steam style beer and I am pouring a 1.050 steam style beer onto it. (I want to re-do the Steam as my first is way out of the ABV guidelines for the style, its gunna be heavy but it will still be an awesome beer i think?)
MY question is, would it be advisable to scoop up only a cup or two of the old yeast cake, and pitch that into the new wort? I believe that would solve my overpitching problems, but I dont want to "Underpitch". Also, I definatly do not want to wash the yeast as I just dont have the time or patience. would tossing in 2 or 3 cups of the old yeast cake into a new and clean primary suffice??
Thanks a lot for the help guys! have a great day!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have poured the new brew on top of the complete yeast cake from a previous brew without any ill effects. You will want a blow off tube though.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I think you'll be fine pitching onto the old yeast cake. It's hard for a homebrewer to overpitch. It's good you are doing the same style though, that way it won't matter about some crossover between the two.

Some would say that the yeast is too stressed by a 1.067 brew but you should have plenty of healthy yeast left over to do well on your next brew.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I actually do that fairly often. I take a spoon and a beer glass and scoop out 6 or 8 oz. of trub and add that when I pitch my yeast. Be ready for a fast ferment, and I would definetaly use a blow off hose.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It will be overpitching, however over pitching does not guarantee off flavors.

but you do need to keep tabs on it the first day or so. fermentation will be damn near explosive, even a 5 gal batch in a 7 gallon bucket can blow krausen out the airlock, or pop the lid off.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I only reduce the cake if it is more than 2 quarts. And that is strictly because of the location of the faucets in my fermenters, I don't want too much trub.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Generally you pitch a higher gravity wort on a smaller wort but I don't think it will make a great difference. I lost a 1\2 gallon of wort when I did this once because it was blowing off so explosively.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
buraglio
Recipes 

I pitched my milk stout directly onto the yeast cake of a porter and it turned out to be the best brew I think I've ever made. It did take off like a rocket, though.

Blog

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2853 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

I'm going to do this for my next batch, and all the advice I've gotten from here is that you need to go "darker" for the second batch...otherwise, they say, you'll get the flavors of the previous batch. Ie. you wouldn't want to try to brew a pale ale on top of a yest cake used for a stout.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Blender

"Generally you pitch a higher gravity wort on a smaller wort but I don't think it will make a great difference. I lost a 1\2 gallon of wort when I did this once because it was blowing off so explosively"

I have a 1.052 on deck now and I am planing a 1.075, ? this would work on top of
the yeast cake from the 1.052?