Brewing Style Question - Oatmeal stout or foreign

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyG

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I brewed a foreign oatmeal stout in mind mind... essentially a foreign stout with less hops and more oatmeal... or an oatmeal stout which a roastier taste and a high alcohol content.

There is a competition coming up, and I'd like to enter it to get feedback but obviously, I'd like to give it a fighting chance, but im not sure whether to enter it as a foreign stout or oatmeal stout. It doesn't fit either perfectly...

The recipe is essentially
34% 2 row
34% marris otter
11% flaked oats
7% crystal 80
7% chocolate
7% roasted

Styiran Goldins hops with London Ale Yeast

Gives
6.5 % ABV
1.064 OG to 1.015 FG
26 IBU
41 SRM

So any opinions whether I should enter this as an oatmeal stout or a foreign, its kind of between the two?!?!

I've never entered anything so I'm not used to the rules for all this

You could enter it in both just to see what the judges say if you wanted to pay for the two entry fees. Otherwise, I would say enter it as an Oatmeal Stout.

Is the comp using the 2008 guidelines or 2015 ones? Read them and see where it best fits. Do you get a silky mouthfeel? That points to an oatmeal stout. Also how is the finish? Oatmeal stout should be medium sweet to medium dry, while a Foreign Stout should be moderately dry.

While the numbers for gravity, IBU's ABV listed on the BJCP guidelines are just a guideline, not a must, I will say your IBU's are very low for a Foreign Stout and good judges will notice that and mark you down some. On the other hand, you are high in all the numbers for an Oatmeal stout, but in past practice with comps, beers that are on or over the guideline seem to do well for me.

Good luck!

In my opinion it will be an oatmeal stout because of low ibu, because Srm and og and fg are still just within range and with 11% oats if you have that creamy silky feel too. How is your carbonation btw? You can call it foreign oatmeal stout or extra oatmeal stout, but even the abv is ok. Can you guess it is 6.5 % or is it well hidden?

View attachment 1448922865646.jpg

Back