Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bay Leaf?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
dockmasterjc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bay Leaf?

Has anyone tried to use bayleaf to add a little flavor to the brew? I love the smell and taste, just have no idea how I would introduce it?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Man, I love bay leafs too...but I can't see it in a beer...what would you be looking at style wise?

If you were to use it you could possibly treat it as hops... maybe at 15 minute and then at 5 minutes or at flameout... Or try a couple in secondary as a sort of dry hopping... for that I would probably soak the bayleafs overnight in an ounce of vodka to sanitize it then add it with the vodka into the secondary...

It just seems that matching it's flavor to a beer style would be difficult.
'
hmm....I wonder if you looked at some of the beers brewed with spruce tips and instead of the spruce use bay...

methinks whatever you do, perhaps you should do it as a 1 or 2 gallon test batch, with only 1/2 a leaf at 15, 1/2 at flameout, then check it when you rack to secondary and maybe add another. Then with brewing software you could scale up the ingredients, and then double the bayleaf addition.

I think it would be like clove and could be overpowering...

I'd like to know what you come up with...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Wow...I was the only one who replied to this thread last night???

Something else occured to me after I logged off...perhaps a bay/rum porter would be good... Anyone remember "Bay Rum after shave" I think they stopped making it or carrying it in stores because people were trying to drink it...But I love that smell.

I think a good dark porter where you soaked the bay leaves in rum to sanitize, and maybe added some cloves, allspice, cinnamin would be interesting...

Or maybe an apfelwein perhaps...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
dockmasterjc
Recipes 

wasn't sure about style, just wanted to get some ideas from those with more experience. I wonder if I tossed a leaf or two in the bottle at bottling time would do anything? Thanks for responding! Cheers!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

goes well in a mead tho

Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhead
goes well in a mead tho
Really? You've done it? How much and how did you do it? Howzit taste?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What about a Scottish 90. Seems to me that would be right at home , taking the place of the heather!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Really? You've done it? How much and how did you do it? Howzit taste?
i put 2 bayleaves in a 5 gallon batch. i thought the taste was good.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
dockmasterjc
Recipes 

I finally put 2-3 leaves in at the end of my boil of a pale ale. I bottled yesterday and the smell was great! I tried a sip of the flat beer and it seems just right.