Classic Style Smoked Beer Rogue Smoke Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjonsharp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle American S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7.5 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
1.0 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb Smoked Malt

2 oz Saaz (4.0%) 60 min
1 oz Pearle (7.0%) 60 min
0.5 oz Pearle (7.0%) 15 min

SafAle American Dry Yeast S-05

Mash at 152F for 60 min
Mash out at 170F

Fermented for 3 weeks at 68F
Crash cooled for 2 days at 40F

~6%ABV

Tasting Notes: Amber color with white head. Smokey, light toffee and malt aroma. Light bodied. Smokey flavor. Heavy bitter finish. 38/50

This ended up being a very tasty and very drinkable smoke ale.

hi, ive never brewed a smoke beer before, and the only one i've had has been schlenkerla marzen. how does this recipe with one pound of smoked malt compare in smokiness level to marzen? did you smoke the malt yourself? just wondering about comparison of amount for taste :)

Have you brewed this recently? Have you tried brewing this beer but using Wyeast Pacman yeast during fermentation (since that what Rogue uses)?

I love Rogue Ales and just saw this post, hoping the user who write it is still active.

Well, so far I just kegged this on the 21st so it's basically cold and not carbonated at this point. The smoke flavor is there but on the lighter side. Tentatively I would say that I would put more in the next time I brew this, probably at least go to 2 lbs rauchmalt if you want more than a hint of smoke IMO.

-Steve

I tried this recipe recently. I added an addtional lb of the smoked grain as suggested. Just racked into secondary last night and taste tested my hydrometer sample... The smoke flavor was still extremely subtle. To be honest, it was almost non-existent. Now, in comparison, the Rogue smoke ale only has a subtle smoke aroma/flavor too. It still had decent flavor. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I brewed it for my Dad anyway, so I am sure he will enjoy it. Came out to about 5.37% alc, which is a little low for my liking. I’m more of a DIPA or Belgian Dubble/Quad type of guy, liking my beers ranging from 7%+ with robust flavor and aroma.

If I were to brew this recipe again, I would probably substitute a lb of the 2 row for an additional lb of the smoked malt. That would bring the total smoked malt up to 3 lbs, but keeping the same overall total grain lbs the same.

The one smoke ale I brewed last year had:

7lb 2-row
4lb weyermann smoke
3lb Briess smoke
Plus some other specialties for color and what-not but it turned out great. Fermented out with S-04 and that keg was gone too fast after the club came over and got into it.
So in my opinion you can really get the ratio of smoked Malts up there if you like BBQ and smoked meats a lot I highly recommend it.

Have any of you used Liquid Smoke? I have had great reviews on my smoked ale that i used Liquid Smoke in. Just curious.

I am currently where I cannot make this all grain. Closest I can find is a kit near my home. 10th anniversary india pale ale. I guess I could steep smoked malts in a bag? Any thoughts how to make this on an extract level? Just sounds too good not to make..

I made a partial-mash, full-boil version of this. Recipe:

Mash:
1lb 2-row
1lb Munich 10
1lb Crystal 60
1lb Smoked Malt

Extract:
6lb Gold LME

Hops:
0.5oz Pearle (60 minutes)
1.5oz Saaz (60 minutes)
0.5oz Pearle (15 minutes)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056

I think it turned out perfectly. I was looking for enough smoke flavor for it to be more than subtle, but not so much that it overpowered the beer and made it hard to drink without pairing with a rich food (an experience I've had with smoke ales in the past).

Back