Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Northern Brewer Kits

Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Northern Brewer Kits

If you have ordered and brewed a northern Brewer AG Kit, let me know what you thought. I am looking into several of these kits, but I want to check them ut with my Home Brewing Brethern before I take the plunge. The first one I want to try is the Scottish Ale. Not the Wee heavy, sounds like the Alcohol would over power the beer.

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Their crush is pretty sad. I have bought from them, B3, and AHS and theirs is by far the worst. I did not get a kit so I am not sure if they take this into account.

It also seems that they might send you something different than what they say they are including without notifying you.

Otherwise, I think their products are very fresh and I received very fast turnaround. I have also heard their kits are pretty good, but never used one.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
old_townie
Recipes 

there were some rumblings in the recipes/ingredients forum a few days ago about hop substitutions that didn't match up with general hop substitution knowledge.... on the other hand, i've brewed 3 austin home brew all grain kits and have been very, very satisfied.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Rockybottom

Recipes 

Default I would not hesitate

Have have used several of their kits, all have come with the prescribed ingredients. I have also e-mailed them about putting together a "custom" kit which they have been very helpful with. I have bought kits from AHS, Midwest, and NB. I also know if you do business with NB they will take are of you in the hops department.
I have not had any problem with their crush. I now buy all my grain uncrushed though.
I prefer using them at this point, but I know AHS is on this forum.
Secondary 3 :
Kegged: , Ed's Apfelwein, Blueberry, Mild Ale
Up next : Dry Irish Stout, Dunk

Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks for all the replies. The Crush isn't important as I have my own Mill. Looking forward to trying the Scottish Ale Kit.

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had great results with all the kits I have bought from Northern. I especially like the kits with the steeping grains that come precrushed. I have also had good results with kits from AHS and Listermann's.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had great luck with the kits from NB, their crush was always fine for me. I used to get 80-85% with their crush & my cooler tun.
I have gotten away from kits but would have no problem going back to them. Great service here as well. I bet I have ordered 20 times from them, never a mistake and never any delays.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
JoePolvino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought probably a dozen AG kits from them, and most were very good. I didn't care for their cream ale. The irish red was the best.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
RedVR6
Recipes 

Good thread. I was thinking of throwing one of their kits into an order I am placing there soon...so I can get my feet wet again. I typically order my ingredients from Alt. Bev./Homebrew.com.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
beergorila
Recipes 

Have to say their service has been top-notch for me. I am gonna try the first kit I ordered this Monday (EPA brewed 1/12, bottled 2/2), but have 2 more kits in the fermentors (irish dry stout bottling tomorrow, honey Kolsch moving to 2ndary) so the tasting has yet to be determined on all 3...

On Tap: Oatmeal Stoutlaw, 80 Shill
Up Next: IIPA