Blowoff tube did its job... Now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say let it be for now.... once fermentation slows down you can remove it and change out for an airlock. Or just let it be till you bottle/keg it, then clean it all up. No worries, it did its job, and still is.

I'd say remove the tube and run fresh water and then StarSan it again and replace. If the blow off dries you may never get it out of the tube.

I'd say remove the tube and run fresh water and then StarSan it again and replace. If the blow off dries you may never get it out of the tube.

I've never had issues getting gunk out of the tube (mine is silicone for what it's worth). Just soak in hot oxyclean for a lil while.

I say leave it until you're ready to package.

Thanks all, I think it is fine and will let it ride. It is just cheap vinyl tubing from home depot so no real loss if it is impossible to clean, but I bet some pbw will clean it up.

i soak all ym blowoff equipments in PBW to get all teh krausen residue off. But be sure to give it at least 24hrs of no more stuff coming up out of it before you try to replace it. Ive found often times, the reduced pressure from replace it with an airlock causes the krausen to rise back up and then you need another blowoff

I have an extry'n on standby just in case one gets clogged. Sanitize it and swap it out and then start soaking the other one to get the gunk out.

I've had to use this before for stouts fermenting with S-04. **** gets rowdy. :rockin:

Back