ESPN Page 2: What if Bledsoe Didn't Get Hurt? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > ESPN Page 2: What if Bledsoe Didn't Get Hurt?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

This is rather amusing. It's an alternate reality where Drew Bledsoe never got injured in '01 and our favorite sixth-rounder isn't exactly dating a supermodel...

Quote:

Here is where reality and possibility diverge a bit. The Patriots go into the 2002 season with Bledsoe as their clear starting quarterback. He is the reigning Super Bowl MVP, after all. He's only 30. He is a three-time Pro Bowler. And he has the pedigree of being a former No. 1 overall pick.

New England enters training camp with three quarterbacks: Bledsoe, Brady and fourth-round pick Rohan Davey, who's coming off of a record-setting career at SEC power LSU.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick quickly decides it is too much of a risk to have his star quarterback backed-up by a pair of unproven youngsters in Brady and Davey. This is the Super Bowl champion. There is too much at stake if Bledsoe goes down. So for his second-stringer, Belichick signs the always-intriguing Jeff George -- late of the Redskins and a player with a similar style to Bledsoe.

That leaves the final spot to either Brady or Davey. Brady was a sixth-round draft pick two years ago. He only has three career attempts. Meanwhile, the Patriots spent a fourth-rounder on Davey. In the final cut of camp, Belichick releases Tom Brady.

With most NFL rosters solidified, Brady can't find a job. Who wants a universally panned sixth-round draft pick with this body? No one, Brady quickly discovers.

Without a paycheck and almost flat broke due to blowing most of his two years of sixth-round pick money on pocket squares, ascots and haberdashery, Brady is forced into the workforce while he hopes for a call from an NFL team.

His first job is at the Gap at a suburban Boston shopping mall. But he is quickly fired for violating part of the employee dress code, called "the tuck rule."

The year ends with Brady down to his last few dollars and further than ever from NFL stardom.
Mmm...this is some fine photoshoppin...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

who cares?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Did we REALLY need another patriots thread? Come on Evan...

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right? I mean, remember, most of these so called patriots fans can dish it out but not take it. I'd hate for them to get their undies in a bundle yet again.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right? I mean, remember, most of these so called patriots fans can dish it out but not take it. I'd hate for them to get their undies in a bundle yet again.

exactly, not everyone can be lucky enough to be a Packers or Redskins fan.
Because those are 2 truely great teams that win all the time.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Don Majkowski
Sept 20, 1992
Cincinnati Bengals

Look it up.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Don Majkowski
Sept 20, 1992
Cincinnati Bengals

Look it up.

Great avatar too, BTW.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

FWIW, the Pats carried Brady as a FOURTH QB in his first year in the league. It was Bledsoe, Scott Zolak (I think), Michael Bishop, and Brady. Lots of people at the time were clamoring for Bishop to get the starting nod, since he was a scrambler with a decent arm (a VERY poor man's Michael Vick). But, they clearly saw SOMETHING in Brady, Belichick isn't the kind of coach to waste a roster spot (he only carried two QBs on the roster for a long time).

And, YES, I KNOW - THIS IS THE ONION - but it's not really funny if it does't make any sense....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

It wasn't "yet another pats bashing thread" whatsoever. I think even Brady worshippers can find that that piece amusing. Hell, you could do the same kind of thing for pretty much any sports star. The moment they got their break---what if it never happened?

Actually, if it were the onion, it would make more sense. It's ESPN.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right?
Hey, now, at least I didn't put a snarky pats quote in my signature. Gosh, if I did that, I'd look like a total dick every time I posted. Especially if I made the text red. Yeah, good thing I didn't do that.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Hey, now, at least I didn't put a snarky pats quote in my signature. Gosh, if I did that, I'd look like a total dick every time I posted. Especially if I made the text red. Yeah, good thing I didn't do that.

At least he took down the one that INCORRECTY identified *me* as prematurely awarding the title to the Pats (when it was *his* damn quote ).

Page 2, The Onion... same thing

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana