Advantages of Steamer Basket over just using a Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Our desire to bling things out. Why use a wimpy bag when you can have STAINLESS?

But yeah, security. If you have a cheap bag you might run into ripping issues. Shouldn't be a problem with a decent bag.

I only started using a steamer basket when I went to a circulating PID controlled electric set up. If you're not going to be heating during the mash there's really not any need to use the steamer basket.

it keeps everything a couple inches from the bottom of the pot so you can put in electric elements, spigots, thermometers etc... w/out having to worry about the bag hitting them. also makes it easy to pull the bag out if you use a winch or pulley system since the basket has a nice handle on it.

They often come with them because non-homebrewing folks use them for boiling crabs and lobster. I think some homebrewers just adapted to using them, and then that became a feature some brewing-specific kettles included. That's my guess. I've never used one, so what do I know.

Agree on all above posts.I also like that I can winch up the basket,let it drain above wort.I also like that I can squish the grain down with a pot lid to get more out of it while the bag is in the basket(Hanging above the wort)I cant see how you could do that with just a bag

Back