Any specific requirements for a shed? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Any specific requirements for a shed?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
solbergg
Recipes 

Feb 2008

I'm going to either buy or build a shed for my back yard soon. In addition to storing some lawn care equipment, I want to start brewing my own beer out there as well. Are there any specific conditions that would make a shed better for brewing?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Since this is your 1st post - Welcome aboard!

electricity and water
sink (if you have room)
ventilation if you plan to run burners in there

would all be on my want list. How big of a shed are you planning on building? If you do a search, I seem to remember a couple of other threads about brew shed builds. I remember one was really nice.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Welcome to HBT!

A lot would depend on the climate in your area as well. For fermenting there are relatively specific temperature requirements you'd need to be able to meet.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

If I was going to build another shed, I'd make sure to have something other than a plywood floor. The one I had at my last house had one of those and it wasn't great. I think I'd probably use concrete pavers because they are still considered "portable" and not a permanent structure like poured concrete. I'd also want water and electric. Depending on the climate, you're also going to have to consider heating and cooling.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
solbergg
Recipes 

Feb 2008

Thanks for all of the replies and welcomes, guys. It sounds like a true brew shed can be quite the investment. Perhaps I should start small and then expand into a shed once I get things rolling? I have a large backyard and would love to have a workshop back there as well, so electricity and water shouldn't be too difficult. Ventilation might be unless a wall unit would be sufficient. I am located in Jacksonville, FL so some sort of A/C would be important, I suppose.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #6
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

May 2007
Georgia
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Definetaly A/C and a large shaded porch.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
jas0420

Recipes 

Apr 2007
College Station, Texas
Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts

Don't forget a beer fridge.... You don't want to be too far seperated from tasty brew while you make tasty brew. I brew in my garage (live near Houston) and don't have the garage AC'd, so summers are almost unbearable. Ice cold beer helps a lot.

Hmm. Actually, maybe that's why mine haven't been turning out all that great..............

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Bryan, Texas
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0420
Don't forget a beer fridge.... You don't want to be too far seperated from tasty brew while you make tasty brew. I brew in my garage (live near Houston) and don't have the garage AC'd, so summers are almost unbearable. Ice cold beer helps a lot.

Hmm. Actually, maybe that's why mine haven't been turning out all that great..............
Thats why I had my crappy beer on tap when we brewed, so we could pay more attention and do it right! Except for the whole gallon and a half short on volume....

Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Nishinomiya, Japan
Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts

Give this BN show a listen (skip the first 45 minutes if you don't want the witty banter). Then they follow up with a thorough discussion of 3 levels of brew house(backyard brewers, shed brewers, and brewers with an extremely large budget). They cover things like lighting, water, power, gas, flooring etc. etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

before you get into all of that you may want to check your local building codes and see what you can legally do. and welcome to hbt