The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 73 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #721
nbspindel
Recipes 

Aug 2009
las vegas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

(i ride the university bus to school daily and get chat with the morning driver)
so i tell him i'll get him one of my beers, and ask what he prefers. He says "import", so i give him options: something like Killians (my irish red ale) or budweiser (for lack of better description for my cream ale). He repeats "import", so i get him an irish red.

following day he says it was ok, but he prefers light beers and does not like 'ales', but it was ok. He asked me where I got it from. I said "what do you mean? Home." He asks if i brought it from my hometown, to which i reply that it came from my faucet, kettle, fermenter, and then finally my basement: my own brew. He says "darn, i just took it home and drank it warm, but didnt even drink it all. I would've chilled it had I known it was yours." So sad. Who drinks warm beer anyway? Needless to say, he gets no more beer. Didn't even recognize the effort.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #722
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Oct 2009
IL
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCreekBrewing View Post
Could he have thought a 1L growler was a 40oz bottle?

Some days are just made for too many drinks with friends. Should he have drank 40s of Shlitz? I would rather drink 4 growlers of AB.
I doubt he bought 3-4 growlers of AB. I'm sure he confused it with Steele Reserve.
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #723
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Frederick, MD
Liked 612 Times on 428 Posts

I think he was drinking Steel Reserve.
There's a difference between too many drinks, and pounding beers. You can savor a good beer and have too many, but I wouldn't swallow a rare cut prime rib whole then break the plate over my head. That's precisely what Schlitz is for.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #724
DevilsCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Cambridge Ontario
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not saying that he was right, just that AB does come in a bottle that one who isn't a beer geek could confuse as a 40oz. As far as what is, or isn't pounding, I have seen a number of people get shiatfaced on very expensive booze, easier to feel self important when it costs more.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #725
BrianP123
Recipes 

Mar 2010
north jersey

at my wifes recent 40th b-day party, one of her friends (who brought a case of mass produced lager over) drunkenly grabbed my sister-n-law and came up to me asking me why my beer had to be so hoppy..... she learned that word from my sis-n-law who is an avid beer drinker and likes a nice hoppy beer.

i looked at her and reminded myself that her knick-name was "dipsy-doodle" and explained that i personally enjoy a bitter ale much more than a kinda bland tasting lager aka swill and walked away.

i told my wife and she laughed

Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #726
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3454 Times on 3276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP123 View Post
at my wifes recent 40th b-day party, one of her friends (who brought a case of mass produced lager over) drunkenly grabbed my sister-n-law and came up to me asking me why my beer had to be so hoppy..... she learned that word from my sis-n-law who is an avid beer drinker and likes a nice hoppy beer.

i looked at her and reminded myself that her knick-name was "dipsy-doodle" and explained that i personally enjoy a bitter ale much more than a kinda bland tasting lager aka swill and walked away.

i told my wife and she laughed
awesome. Someone asked a legit question and you pulled EAC.

This thread is funny, nut a lot of these posts just make you guys look like beer snobs and jerks. The bolded would have been a great answer in itself.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevIP View Post
awesome. Someone asked a legit question and you pulled EAC.

This thread is funny, nut a lot of these posts just make you guys look like beer snobs and jerks. The bolded would have been a great answer in itself.
I'm all about the EAC - LOL! I tend to not talk about my beer unless someone is really interested and leading the conversation.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #728
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

I have a friend who I am starting to teach how to brew. He doesn't know much about beer; never drank in college. I think he's got a taste for decent beer, but doesn't have the vocabulary. He's stuck on the word "hops", I think. Everything is hops.

He helped me build my setup (drilled out the kettle, etc.) so I gave him a thorough "tour" of the brewing process. I think he's getting it.

When I start to tell him about the different types of beer, he asks if the hops make the difference between ales and lagers.

I show him the grain and he asks "Is that the hops?"

*smacks head*

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #729
Sedge
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Corvallis, OR
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A beer bar that I frequent quite a bit in Philly recently changed their menu. It seems they got tired of handing out a beer menu and having to tell you what got kicked that night etc so instead they now go with the chalkboard for the current list, and the menu has a style breakdown with estimated ABVs and flavor profiles etc. so you can make an educated choice.

The gf and I were enjoying some calamari and St. Louis Geuze when I overhear from the table behind us, "There are other kinds of lager?" Those of you from around Philly will understand.

Also at a recent dinner I was put in charge of the beverages, so I put out a nice Chilean Merlot, a decent Riesling, a Metheglyn from Redstone Meadery, Etienne Dupont Organic Bouche Brut Cider, and The Bruery's Saison de Lente. SWMBO's mother prompted so many head smacking moments that I can't name them all. The standout was while tasting the mead. "So this is the same as Ale right?"

Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #730
HomeBrewMan
Recipes 

Mar 2007

Was at a party recently (sisters). In a rush so bought some Fullers ESB en route. Chatting away etc, a friend comes up and asks what is that? I give him a taste & he says" F*cking Gross man- you must have alcohol issues to be drinking that homemade sh*t".
BMC drinkers- It was store bought, one reason I dont give samples to friends. They cant appreciate what a hoppy beer tastes like