The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 70 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #691
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 492 Times on 381 Posts

i got the ol' "it's too beer-y" (apparently its a bad thing) from my wife the other day after giving her an ESB. I tried to get her to tell me what the "beer taste" means. she can't describe.

it's not hops, as this was a low-hopped esb and she knows what hops are. it might be esters as I used thames valley II.

her favorite beer has been my porter. she doesn't like coffee. i can't figure her out.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #692
Grimster

Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Alabama
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I've already started collecting a few of these, now that I can give out freebies to friends/etc.

So far the BMC drinkers seem to use "it's too heavy" or "too rich" or "too strong" (strongest brew I've given out so far is 6.8%).

I've already started putting people on my "no homebrew list" for their stupid comments, I mean it's not like they're paying me for it, so screw 'em, more for me!

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #693
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
i got the ol' "it's too beer-y" (apparently its a bad thing) from my wife the other day after giving her an ESB. I tried to get her to tell me what the "beer taste" means. she can't describe.
Dude, my mom is the exact same way. She's definitely not a beer drinker but it's the same thing with your wife: the description is "beer-y" but she can't provide a definition as to what makes it so. She says, "I dunno it's just, ya know, too beer-y"

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #694
willtest
Recipes 

Mar 2010
orange county ca

That's too damn funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
I had a similar experience with my MIL. She is a junk collector. Does a lot of garage sale-ing, and picks up odds and ends and stores the stuff in a two car garage. The garage is packed w/ junk. I was asked to move a dresser out of there and low & behold I see a glass 5 gal Alpine Water Bottle!!

I asked her what she was going to do with it, she says,

"Nothing, why do you want it?"

I'm like, "Yes!!"

She says "Tell me what you want it for first."

I say,"Beer making."

She goes on to tell tell me she doesn't know what was in it before and that I might get poisioned. I tell he that I will clean it first. That was OK with her. Now this bottle is on a decanting craddle hinged and all. It has a screw on cap to boot. Its pretty nice score for $0.00

2 hours later.....

She comes in to the house and tells me, "I don't think you really need it."

I'm like, "What???"

She goes, "Once you open it you'll have to drink all of that beer or it will go flat!!!! You know I don't think you need to drink that much!!"

I'm busting up on the floor laughing. I explain that it will be a fermentation vessel and that I promised not to drink out of it." Come to think of it that would a 645oz beer!

This total redefines the meaning, "I'm only gonna have one!!"

Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #695
ndsgr
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Everyone seemed to like my Pale Ale at my daughter's birthday. My mom took a break from sipping a Bud and tried mine. "Oh, that's nasty! Maybe if you called it something besides beer. Like flower beer."

Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #696
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
staten island
Liked 546 Times on 415 Posts

i love this thread. now that I got a couple of batches under my belt, I can chime in....

Just today: me: wanna try a homemade beer?
Him: sure. (after presenting him with a overhopped dunkelweizen) damn, that looks like guinness
Me: really? it's nothing like guinness
him: wow, tastes just like guinness
me: have you ever had guinness
him: oh yeah.....lin ireland, so I know guinness

Guy at work commenting on the same overhopped dunkelweizen: I had one of your beers last night, and it tastes just like newcastle.
Me: Have you ever had a Newcastle?
Him: yep, drink it all the time, and your beer tastes just like it
Me: Is there any left?
Him: yeah, I got 3 left.
Me: can I have them back?

Neighbor: Hey, ya want a beer?
Me: Nah, I'm drinking my homebrew
Neighbor: ya sure, it's a Miller Lite?
Me: oh, in that case, I'm positive
Neighbor: (in gay girly voice) oooohhhh, look at me, I make my own beer, and that's all I drink.

My dad: want a beer?
Me: sure, whaddaya got?
My dad: Beer from the russian store, it's only a dollar a bottle, and they're 25 ounces
Me: nah, those beers taste like ****.
My dad: well, for only a buck, I"ll take them over that crap you make at home
Me: and you better stock up, cuz you'll never get one of my beers again. But save me your empties, I'll put real beer in them

Me: wanna try a beer I made at home?
Guy at work: Is it like budweiser?
me: Initially, but then I heat it up and mix grains with it, and boil it with hops and mix it with yeast and get beer
guy at work: You make beer out of Budweiser?????
Me: No, I make beer out of water, grains, hops and yeast.
Guy at work: Oh, I thought you said you start with budweiser
Me: come to think of it, you wouldn't like my beer, forget it.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #697
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Oct 2009
IL
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Neighbor: (in gay girly voice) oooohhhh, look at me, I make my own beer, and that's all I drink.

Guy at work: Is it like budweiser?
me: Initially, but then I heat it up and mix grains with it, and boil it with hops and mix it with yeast and get beer
guy at work: You make beer out of Budweiser?????
Oh god, I loled so hard
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #698
ndsgr
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Neighbor: Hey, ya want a beer?
Me: Nah, I'm drinking my homebrew
Neighbor: ya sure, it's a Miller Lite?
Me: oh, in that case, I'm positive
"Look at me, I'm Ned Flanders. I'm a big four eyed lame-o and wear the same stupid sweater everyday."

Don't know why that reminded me of that...

Got one the other day by my friend's visiting Aunt:
Me to everyone: Beer?
Everyone: Sure!
Aunt: What do you have?
Me: Sierra Nevada, Guinness and homebrew.
Aunt: Homebrew sounds interesting, where did you find that?
Me: I made it.
Aunt: Do you have Coke?

Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #699
Potter1
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Leavenworth, Wa
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i got the "oh, I like it, it doesnt have any aftertaste" comment last night (1.065 Saison, spiced to hell and hoppy)
Primary 4 Air

Secondary 1 air
2 air
3 air
4 air
Kegged
Fall Amber, Sparkling Cider, Cream Soda, Gum Bleeder II, Dunkel
Damn big drinkin' weekend

Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #700
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
staten island
Liked 546 Times on 415 Posts

this wasn't about my beer, but I had to add it.
guy at the table next to me: I'll have a bud, and my lady will have a coors light, and since this is a special occasion, well take two nice cold glasses.

yep, you wouldn't wanna spoil the taste of those two gems with a room temperature glass

jamiemc18 Likes This