The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey
That may be one of saddest HB stories I've ever heard. I hope I don't offend you but I think your BIL may be an idiot.

No offense taken, he's an idiot and a dumbass. I told him I would help him get started. He didn't take me up my offer so its his loss.

I told him in that there was probably nothing wrong with it and he shouldn't have dumped it out. Personally, I think it was a fleeting moment of coolness. He didn't seem to care to talk about the experience.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #62
mrfocus

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta pleated sheet
"How do you make beer at home? Do you have to distill it?"
You should say you distill it from whiskey (Canadian or Irish, not some corn whiskey) and that you add hops to help get the alcohol out. Then laugh devilishly in your head while they believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
About 30 days after this...He later bought a homebrew kit, made it, a week later he dumped it all out because he said it tasted nasty. He drank a glass right from the primary!!!
Wow. I mean, that beer was so green he probably pissed green urine after that.
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #63
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Today while ice fishing with a bunch of Bud and Budlight drinkers;

Guy: What are you drinking?

Me: "A homebrew. Its an Oktoberfest. Want one?" (I was curious to see the response)

Guy: "I don't want a whole one, but I'll try a sip" *sips*. "Eh, not bad, but I don't like the aftertaste."

Me: "Yeah, my beer is pretty good, but its no Budlight." (tongue in cheek)

Guy: *Laughs* "Yep" (he took my comment at face value)

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #64
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Southeastern US
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Me: "Yeah, my beer is pretty good, but its no Budlight." (tongue in cheek)

Guy: *Laughs* "Yep" (he took my comment at face value)
The irony is that it's much more difficult to make something that looks and tastes like a BMC than the brown ale you (generically speaking) have on hand -- ever mention that and the battle is lost, because obviously you just aren't able to make "good beer."

Rick

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfocus

Wow. I mean, that beer was so green he probably pissed green urine after that.

Also, I bet he had the worst case of gas ever.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #66
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vels
A good friend of ours: I dont drink beer, i really dont like it.
Same guy 10 mins later: I only drink your beer, besides that i dont like beer.
He never really liked anything else I brewed, only that one. I brew it now and then and he is always 1st in line for a case.

Another classic conersation....
- Will i go blind ?
- No, moonshine can make you go blind.
- I that stuff on the bottom dangerous ?
- No, just dont pour and drink it, it tastes bad.
5 mins later: Can i have another ?

Cheers
Jakob

Actually, it's nigh impossible to get blind off of moonshine. Most is made with corn and barley, perhaps sugar. Now, brewers add all of these to brews that call for them, and we all know that you'll never go blind off of homebrew. Drinking moonshine is no worse for you than drinking the mash it came from...In fact, since distillation removes many of the bad alcohols, it's actually quite a bit better for you.

This myth comes from back in the days of prohibition, wherein some unscrupulous shiners added methylated spirits to their own, which was cheaper for them to produce. If you were to distill your own, there is almost zero danger from methanol etc, unless you're fermenting wood dust .

As for me:
Me: Hey mom, why don't you give this beer a try? It's a belgian blonde, light but tasty.
The old lady: No thanks, I don't really like beer except like some Stella every now and then.
Me: ummmmm....

Female friend upon drinking aged cider: Ewwww! this tastes just like beer!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #67
Mustangfreak

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My brother said he preffered Coor's Light over my Texas Blonda Ale. I wanted to slap him so bad.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #68
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Nebraska

I get "this is kind of chewy and has a wierd aftertaste" I gave them a really well
done amber ale all grain. Before I knew really good beer that is what I would have said too. Ha!

Oscar,

Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #69
mrfocus

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
In fact, since distillation removes many of the bad alcohols, it's actually quite a bit better for you.
It depends. I'm guessing that freeze distillation was more common, and that type does not remove bad alcohols (methanol and fusel alcohols).

Using fractional distillation you can get rid of all six of them (sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol). Although freeze distillation would dangerously concentrate all of these (ESPECIALLY methanol) as they all freeze between -36 and -97 C.
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #70
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

RadicalEd

A lot of that is true- The rest of people going blind if from Distillers using lead solder and pipes in their equipment leeching out lead into the alcohol.

Discarding heads and tails will rid 90% of all Fusels.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...