The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 61 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #601
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crammer View Post
I recently passed out bottles of spiced holiday ale to several coworkers of mine; one person commented that it tasted like an Anchor Steam beer.

That's not too bad, it's just a slight confusion on his part. Anchor does have a spiced "holy day" beer.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #602
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

So, how do you guys answer the "how do you make beer?" question? If I haven't had much homebrew yet that night I go into all-grain vs. extract and boiling hops. If I have had quite a few I go "you throw all the **** in the pot, boil it, add some yeast, and wait!"

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #603
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Aurora, IL
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
So, how do you guys answer the "how do you make beer?" question? If I haven't had much homebrew yet that night I go into all-grain vs. extract and boiling hops. If I have had quite a few I go "you throw all the **** in the pot, boil it, add some yeast, and wait!"
Total agree with you - accept when I am sober and I start a diatribe on AG vs. PM vs. Extract - and see their eyes gloss over - then I just finish quickly with "boil , hops, yeast - wait!"

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #604
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

i say, you soak grains in hot water for a while, then boil the liquid adding hops from time to time then put it in a container with yeast and let it sit a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #605
KellyK
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

On a long road trip I had my mother help me study for the BJCP exam. She kept butchering the pronunciation of diacytal, so I told her to just say "butter" and I would know what she meant. Evidently this intrigued her and she wanted to know what diacytal really was. Recap of the general conversation:

Me: I's an off flavor that can develop in beer, tastes like butter or butterscotch.
Mom: Really, that sounds tasty.
Me: It's not, it's an off flavor, it's not supposed to be in the beer.
Mom: But I like butterscotch.
Me: I like butterscotch too, just not in my beer.
Mom: Could you brew a beer with di-a-c-y-a-t....."butter" in it (trying to mimic her continued mispronunciation, which was awesome)
Me: Why would I want to do that?
Mom: Because I like butterscotch.
HWMBO (my hubby and co-brewer also in the car): *laughing hysterically*

Gotta love mom, took her to the GABF and pointed out Jim Koch to her, saying "That's the guy who owns Sam Adams." He started to walk away as I was doing this and she decided she wanted her picture with him so she went running after him yelling "Mr. Adams, Mr. Adams, come back Mr. Adams!"

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #606
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
He started to walk away as I was doing this and she decided she wanted her picture with him so she went running after him yelling "Mr. Adams, Mr. Adams, come back Mr. Adams!"
That is pure awesome in a can. Did he laugh his ass off? I would have been rolling. I think I like your mom.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #607
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3459 Times on 3280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
i say, you soak grains in hot water for a while, then boil the liquid adding hops from time to time then put it in a container with yeast and let it sit a few weeks.
+1

Quote:
Gotta love mom, took her to the GABF and pointed out Jim Koch to her, saying "That's the guy who owns Sam Adams." He started to walk away as I was doing this and she decided she wanted her picture with him so she went running after him yelling "Mr. Adams, Mr. Adams, come back Mr. Adams!"
Excuse me Sam, and me and my boy get your picture?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #608
philrose

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
On a long road trip I had my mother help me study for the BJCP exam. She kept butchering the pronunciation of diacytal, so I told her to just say "butter" and I would know what she meant. Evidently this intrigued her and she wanted to know what diacytal really was. Recap of the general conversation:

Me: I's an off flavor that can develop in beer, tastes like butter or butterscotch.
Mom: Could you brew a beer with di-a-c-y-a-t....."butter" in it (trying to mimic her continued mispronunciation, which was awesome)

lmao!! Swmbo too!
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #609
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:

Everything about that story is hilarious!

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #610
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Coeur d Alene, I-duh-ho
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

Mom: What did you do for your birthday?
Me: Theresa (my wife) took me to go get a homebrew kit so I could start brewing my own beer.
Mom: I didn't know that was legal. How much beer are you going to make?
Me: Each batch will be about 5 gallons.
Mom: Are you an alcoholic?

jamiemc18 Likes This