The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 55 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #541
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Chicago ~ Rogers Park

A fellow brewer told he didn't really like my saison because it didn't have "that bacon kind of flavor" that his has.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #542
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Did he try and make a miller chill clone with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #543
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
That's one of the two types. Dark and Bud.
When I was a young beer drinker that was actually sort of true. Sure there were scattered liquor stores that carried imports like Bass, Samual Smith's, maybe Chimay (there were no American craft beers around here back then) but for the mainstream in stores and restaurants there was light beer, and there was dark beer. Becks, and Becks Dark. Lowenbrau, and Lowenbrau Dark. St Pauli Girl, and St Pauli Girl Dark. I met my wife for the first time at a local bar among a group of mutual friends. Everyone else shared pitchers of whatever, while she and I independently ordered Michelob Dark. A girl ordering a "dark" beer at that time was quite the find.

But yeah, I can see why some casual drinkers of a certain age still think in terms of Light and Dark.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #544
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Scranton
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts

Indeed, I remember also when I first discovered that beer could actually be enjoyed (1979 -- it was Beck's). I quickly graduated to dark beers. I also remember as a young kid, my grandparents would take me out for pizza, and usually get a pitcher of dark beer (which was exactly how they ordered it). Even though I couldn't have any (I was 5), I thought it really cool when they ordered dark beer. A harbinger of the future, perhaps?
Kegged: Pale Ale
In the fridge: Genesee IPA

Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #545
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3384 Times on 3241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post

But yeah, I can see why some casual drinkers of a certain age still think in terms of Light and Dark.
I visited McSorely'son our trip to NewYork two Aprils ago. This is all they have. Light and Dark. And you have to order them 2 at a time.. The dark seemed to me to be an English Mild. Very cool place to visit.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #546
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

McSorely's. I picked up a book a few years ago called Real Beer and Good Eats. Basically a combination beer history/bar food cookbook. They had a section on McSorley's. Sounds like quite an historic place. I guess years ago they served raw onions, and women weren't allowed in at all. I'm sure that's changed. Was the beer any good? Do they actually brew it there?
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #547
dontman
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

McSorleys is one of the great bars in the US. Yes, women weren't allowed for a couple hundred years. They changed the rule begrudgingly and refused to put in a separate women's bathroom fpr a long time until they were forced. Then, iirc, they put urinals only in the women's room at first.

This was one of the first places that I frequented that puts ice in the urinals to act as an automatic flusher. Genius really, pee on it it melts and washes the pee away.

I brought a bunch of friends there once and after we were there for several hours we found out about a quaint tradition they have. My friends were quite buzzed and getting a little loud so the manager came over to our table with a box of cigars and offered one to each of them. Then he lit them for them. Then he sent the bouncer over who kindly asked them to take their cigars outside. A pretty classy and peaceful way to eject rowdies from a bar I thought.

I met the actress Amanda Plummer at that bar right after the movie The River was released. I think she was 14. She was there with a bunch of manager agent types. She was drinking beers right along with everyone else. I always found that kind of f'ed up.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #548
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3384 Times on 3241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
McSorleys is one of the great bars in the US. Yes, women weren't allowed for a couple hundred years. They changed the rule begrudgingly and refused to put in a separate women's bathroom fpr a long time until they were forced. Then, iirc, they put urinals only in the women's room at first.

This was one of the first places that I frequented that puts ice in the urinals to act as an automatic flusher. Genius really, pee on it it melts and washes the pee away.

I brought a bunch of friends there once and after we were there for several hours we found out about a quaint tradition they have. My friends were quite buzzed and getting a little loud so the manager came over to our table with a box of cigars and offered one to each of them. Then he lit them for them. Then he sent the bouncer over who kindly asked them to take their cigars outside. A pretty classy and peaceful way to eject rowdies from a bar I thought.

I met the actress Amanda Plummer at that bar right after the movie The River was released. I think she was 14. She was there with a bunch of manager agent types. She was drinking beers right along with everyone else. I always found that kind of f'ed up.
It is a very cool place. Not on I'd frequent as I don't think they've dusted/swept/mopped since they've opened, but a very cool place too look around at everything and experience at least one. The Dark Beer was enjoyable. No over the top awesomeness, but a good drinking beer. I don't think think they make it on site.

From their website
In early 1990's Stroh Brewery purchased the McSorley's brand and brewed it until being bought by those seminal suds-makers-Pabst Brewing Company. McSorley's Ale is available to consumers in both kegs and bottles throughout the East and of course at McSorley's Old Ale House. Where you just might find, it tastes a little different!

That place has quite the history

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #549
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Morgantown, WV

My roommate yesterday upon trying my first finished batch since he's moved in:

"Well...that's a beer!"

Yea, well I have been talking about brewing beer for the last 6 weeks.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #550
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I visited McSorely'son our trip to NewYork two Aprils ago. This is all they have. Light and Dark. And you have to order them 2 at a time.. The dark seemed to me to be an English Mild. Very cool place to visit.
Have they cleaned the ceiling fans yet?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter