The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 54 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #531
jhonda00
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Texas

I ONCE told my girlfriend that my Belgian White tasted yeasty (banana, clove, etc...) and now every time she tastes a beer, she says it tastes like yeast.

It's pretty hilarious!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #532
Pivot

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Fredericton New Brunswick
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think one of my personal favourites, which surprisingly I havent seen here yet, was when I heard an aquantiance talking about beer being unhealthy.
He was trying to tell me that its all the yeast in beer that is bad for you...

Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #533
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any explanation as to why the consumption of yeast would be unhealthy? By the same argument, I guess bread is unhealthy...and how long has mankind been eating bread risen by yeast? I would say maybe almost as long as mankind has been consuming beer.

On an antithetical side note, my primarily Heineken-drinking father said in the last week(more than once and with no probing on my part) that he enjoyed my 18-month-old Belgian triple(enough to get seconds) and "beers with flavor" in general. As my own alleged worst critic, even I thought the aged triple was my best batch to date. Today I also introduced him to Sapporo(which is a much better macro than I remember) with success. Small steps are still progress in the right direction.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #534
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivot676 View Post
I think one of my personal favourites, which surprisingly I havent seen here yet, was when I heard an aquantiance talking about beer being unhealthy.
He was trying to tell me that its all the yeast in beer that is bad for you...
But no mention of the alcohol being bad? Hmm, good to know

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #535
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3390 Times on 3245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexmonkey View Post
A girl in the group we were talking to was handed her glass of porter, she took a sip, then said to everyone in a slightly lowered voice:

"Guinness is better."

In my head I was like, WTF? it's not even the same type of beer!

Sure it is. They're both dark! That's one of the two types. Dark and Bud.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #536
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts

I love how a lot of people equate "dark" with "bitter". My brother is like this. I should just serve beer in steel cups in a dark room.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #537
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Sure it is. They're both dark! That's one of the two types. Dark and Bud.
hahaha, thanks for that one! That line will be getting me through today

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #538
forcera
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got "WOW, it taste like beer" this weekend. It was a Duvel clone that is nothing like Duvel, but I dont really care because its really good.

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #539
brewthunda
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My dad has periodically lectured us on how the term "ale" means beer with 3% or less alcohol . . and that the term "ale" was originally coined to identify which beer British sailors were allowed to drink. Who knows, maybe there was some English law governing the use of those words on ships 200 years ago . . but he's convinced that that's the only definition in effect today. He had to stop me when I told him my souped-up Dead Guy clone was a 7.4% ale and tell me that it must be a "beer" instead of an "ale" because of the alcohol content.

He's pretty funny when it comes to alcohol. He used to drink and my parents had some wicked parties when I was a kid (like we had the firewalkers and torch jugglers from that movie "Jewel of the Nile" in our living room!), but then he stopped completely when I was 12 when he was piloting a rental cabin cruiser for 2 weeks. He said he realized that he wasn't missing anything. The funny part is that he's now lost every single iota of alcohol knowledge he once had. If I'm halfway through my first beer, he'll ask me, "so, are you feeling pretty zonked yet?" Who talks like that? Half a beer? My wife thought he was accusing her of being an alcoholic when he did that to her the first few times.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #540
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
I love how a lot of people equate "dark" with "bitter". My brother is like this. I should just serve beer in steel cups in a dark room.
I don't get a lot of association of dark = bitter but more dark = strong and a co-worker that thinks if it is bitter that is strong.

Most brown and even robust porters are not bitter same with the mild stouts.