The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 52 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #511
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Scranton
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts

When I first started homebrewing, I proudly took a few bottles out west to visit and share with my family. As my parents and brother raved (or politely complimented -- I don't recall which) about the beer, my grandmother, who was never bashful with her opinions, shrugged her shoulders and asked, "Isn't all beer just beer?"
Kegged: Nothing
In the fridge: Dogfish 60 minute; Imperial Stout

Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #512
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Scranton
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts

Other favorite comments I used to get at the brewpub, where I had the pleasure of sharing beer with thousands of people over the years:

"I don't like this. I just like beer." (This is beer, you moron!)

"Do you brew any beer, or just ales?" (Umm, ale is a style of beer.)

"I don't want any of the homemade stuff." (Well, I use the same kind of equipment as BMC, just a lot smaller. And would you say the same about apple pie? Or do you really prefer the kind that comes out of a vending machine?)

The parenthetical remarks were the ones that I wanted say, by the way. Fortunately I was always slightly more diplomatic. My favorite response, which I did use frequently, to most of these kinds of remarks was: "Your glass is empty. Would you like another?"
Kegged: Nothing
In the fridge: Dogfish 60 minute; Imperial Stout

Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #513
BrewMeister49
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Olympia
Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewWench View Post
Not totally appropriate, but since we're talking about commercial beer too... I was in line at the grocery with a sampler case of Goose Island, and some dude behind me was like, is that actually good? I'm like, yah. He's like, well, I only buy American-made beer, like Bud. And I go, well, this is from Chicago. Illinois.

I think there is this stereotype that the only "good" beers must be imports.

And as far as my own beer, I've definitely had people mistake "malty" for "hoppy" as well.
ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor)

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #514
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMeister49 View Post
ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor)
WTF are you talking about? InBev is a Belgian/Brazilian company that owns Bud but the beer is still brewed here it would be insane to try and ship in that much beer from a profit based perspective. Yes it is also made internationally, but it is sold internationally too. They have a very large market share all over the world.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #515
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
WTF are you talking about? InBev is a Belgian/Brazilian company that owns Bud but the beer is still brewed here it would be insane to try and ship in that much beer from a profit based perspective.
Well that is like saying that toyota is american made since they have factories here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #516
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Well that is like saying that toyota is american made since they have factories here.
I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #517
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?
I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #518
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.
Right, that makes sense.

I was just going for the fact that, while it is brewed "overseas" it's not "imported", its brewed in the US for US consumers.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #519
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

People, people, please. Have some decorum.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #520
forcera
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What a great read for a really slow friday at work.