The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 52 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #511
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Scranton
Posts: 1,002
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts


When I first started homebrewing, I proudly took a few bottles out west to visit and share with my family. As my parents and brother raved (or politely complimented -- I don't recall which) about the beer, my grandmother, who was never bashful with her opinions, shrugged her shoulders and asked, "Isn't all beer just beer?"
__________________
Brody's Brew House
Primary: Spiced ale
Planned: Butternut squash & gala apple harvest ale; brown ale or porter; barley wine
Kegged: Nothing
In the fridge: Dogfish 60 minute; Imperial Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #512
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Scranton
Posts: 1,002
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts


Other favorite comments I used to get at the brewpub, where I had the pleasure of sharing beer with thousands of people over the years:

"I don't like this. I just like beer." (This is beer, you moron!)

"Do you brew any beer, or just ales?" (Umm, ale is a style of beer.)

"I don't want any of the homemade stuff." (Well, I use the same kind of equipment as BMC, just a lot smaller. And would you say the same about apple pie? Or do you really prefer the kind that comes out of a vending machine?)

The parenthetical remarks were the ones that I wanted say, by the way. Fortunately I was always slightly more diplomatic. My favorite response, which I did use frequently, to most of these kinds of remarks was: "Your glass is empty. Would you like another?"
__________________
Brody's Brew House
Primary: Spiced ale
Planned: Butternut squash & gala apple harvest ale; brown ale or porter; barley wine
Kegged: Nothing
In the fridge: Dogfish 60 minute; Imperial Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #513
BrewMeister49
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Olympia
Posts: 239
Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewWench View Post
Not totally appropriate, but since we're talking about commercial beer too... I was in line at the grocery with a sampler case of Goose Island, and some dude behind me was like, is that actually good? I'm like, yah. He's like, well, I only buy American-made beer, like Bud. And I go, well, this is from Chicago. Illinois.

I think there is this stereotype that the only "good" beers must be imports.

And as far as my own beer, I've definitely had people mistake "malty" for "hoppy" as well.
ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor)

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #514
Baja_Brewer
 
Baja_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Posts: 2,791
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMeister49 View Post
ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor)
WTF are you talking about? InBev is a Belgian/Brazilian company that owns Bud but the beer is still brewed here it would be insane to try and ship in that much beer from a profit based perspective. Yes it is also made internationally, but it is sold internationally too. They have a very large market share all over the world.
__________________
Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #515
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
WTF are you talking about? InBev is a Belgian/Brazilian company that owns Bud but the beer is still brewed here it would be insane to try and ship in that much beer from a profit based perspective.
Well that is like saying that toyota is american made since they have factories here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #516
Baja_Brewer
 
Baja_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Posts: 2,791
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Well that is like saying that toyota is american made since they have factories here.
I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?
__________________
Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #517
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?
I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #518
Baja_Brewer
 
Baja_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Posts: 2,791
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.
Right, that makes sense.

I was just going for the fact that, while it is brewed "overseas" it's not "imported", its brewed in the US for US consumers.
__________________
Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #519
JohnnyO
 
JohnnyO's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Posts: 8,996
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts


People, people, please. Have some decorum.
__________________
Fermenting: Munich Helles, Mole Porter, White IPA, SMaSH 2Row/Jarrylo
Drinking: Cider, Stout
On Deck: TBD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #520
forcera
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


What a great read for a really slow friday at work.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupidest thing you've heard z987k Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 12 04-22-2009 12:19 AM
Your stupidest thread? Bruscar Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 21 12-23-2008 11:48 PM
STUPIDEST person ever larrybrewer Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 5 12-23-2008 09:55 PM
Stupidest mistake of the year? Yah, I think so.... Dude General Beer Discussion 25 03-09-2007 11:28 PM
Stupidest....Mistake.....Ever!! SwAMi75 General Beer Discussion 9 11-14-2005 05:50 PM


Forum Jump