The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 28 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #271
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3519 Times on 3330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Runner View Post
I think the insincere positive responses are worse than someone honestly saying they don't like it.
This is what I'm always afraiad of I think and is why I don't like positive feedback because I don't believe it. My wife finally gave me negative feedback on a beer last week. It was an extract batch with just DME and some Galena hops that I had laying around. I always get the same off flavor when bottling beer (starting to thinking it's from boiling the sugar for 15-20 minutes) but this simple beer really let it out. When she told me she didn't like it, I thought.....hmmm maybe she really did like all the others.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #272
Stef1966
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Quebec, Canada
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I think the insincere positive responses are worse than someone honestly saying they don't like it.
This is something to consider indeed, but it also depends about "who do you brew it for".
Speaking for myself, im the only beer drinker in the house, wife is really more into red wine, which is fine also while having dinner but i couldn't see myself drinking red wine for a whole evening, i once did that when i was younger and it was probably one of the worst hangover i ever had, mouth was dry like a skull lying in the sand in a sun scorching desert, heart beating like it wanted out and such, never again.

That being said, i only give some to friends when they come to my place, only the friends who are known beer enthusiasts or then a little wine glass (cup) of home brew for the people that want to try it out of curiosity.

For the first time tasters i always tell them not to expect a "store bought" kind of taste.

One of my relatives once had a small glass of one of my stout and said "Very interesting" and then took another sip, and went on talking about other matters and discretely abandoned his almost full glass on the counter while we were moving around the house... (had a good laugh about it with my wife when i found the glass lying there after he left).

Usually getting very good feedback but i frankly don't really care, as long as i love the stuff, people can have the opinion they want on it and i will definitely not be loosing sleep over this.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #273
Aleforge

Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef1966 View Post
abandoned his almost full glass on the counter while we were moving around the house

Yep, it has happened to me more then once, its funny people completely try to become expert magicians also, trying to use slight of hand to avoid drinking the rest until they make a run for the door.

But these are usually the ones with all the fake praise, very annoying. Simple Q&A before hand avoids wasting good home brew.

I have a guy here at work that smuggled bud light on a cruise ship and then onto the shore visit of an island. Because they only served "Budweiser" on the island and had others freaking on him out in the surf asking where he managed to get the bud light. Very sad, this is a person who I do not share with.
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #274
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's partly what I was getting at; the people who want to try your brew because it's beer, say they like it when they don't, and then abandon a full bottle or glass.

The other irritation is that you can't get an honest critique out of them. Even if they have no idea how to critique, a simple description of what they don't like can help us determine if the problem is the beer or the drinker. It's like the difference between hearing "too heavy" and "too cidery."

Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #275
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

"That stuff is so dark, we can't even get a flashlight to go through it. "

"I only had one of your beers and I am feeling loopy"

"Your beer has too much head"

"Can I have some more"

"Here you go Matt, I have to go back to my coors light"

Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #276
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie3 View Post
My five year old son at the counter with me and a sixer of Coors Lite for my BIL on his birthday (he only drinks BMC). Somehow he must of heard me talking to my wife but while at the counter he turns to the cashier and says:

"That stuff is crap. My daddy brews better beer than that! He is buying those for my Uncle Jeff, who knows nothing about beer!"

Didn't know what to say... paid turned and thanked the cashier. When I got out the store, my son said, "I guess we told him, huh daddy?"

Ah, the proud moments...
I can only dream of having that moment one day

Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #277
bluehouse

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

These are OK but I can only drink two before I feel em.
(cause your used to drinking water in a beer can)

Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #278
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Jan 2009
NW Portland, OR
Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

In Portland, there aren't any bars that have only BMC, so the standards for your average drinker are a bit higher, but that doesn't mean people can describe taste and their likes/dislikes very well.

My friends know beers pretty well, but don't really have killer tastebuds or the parlance to put it into words, so I still get the "this is intense" or "this is kind of blah" comments that aren't very helpful.

The worst comment I ever got was "This beer is boring" from a friend, on what turned out to be my favorite brew so far (a cascade pale) after dry hopping.

The best was from my boss "This is the best stout I have ever had!" for my pretty damn light Samuel Smith extract clone .

On the funny side of things, every time I talk to my dad, he says "What are you going to do with all that beer, it's a lot of calories!!!!"

Tonight after I gave him more details and explained I gave most of my beer away, his first question was "Are you making any really yeasty beers?"

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #279
dagamore
Recipes 

Feb 2009
K-Town Germany
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
My dad keeps making this comment about the Hot Chocolate Stout I gave him... Saying he should use it to make his "venison in guinness" recipe.

Uh, Dad...I don't think that's such a great idea. You should probably taste it first.

I think that would work out very nice, i had a chocolate/pepper rubbed venison steak a few days ago and it was great.

Oddly chocolate goes great with most meats.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #280
BrewinDuluth

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Duluth, MN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From the budlight crowd..."This tastes like cold coffee" for any beer I make that is dark in color. If I hear that one more time..
  • Bottled: Scotch Oak Porter
  • Bottled:(for the last 4 months..be strong) Belgian Tripel
  • In the works: Cherrywood smoked orange blossom honey belgian yeast super experiment
  • Drinking: Jameson Whiskey