The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 262 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #2611
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Nutley, NJ
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
Almost about beer. . .
My wife worked yesterday, so I made the corned beef & cabbage. Of course I made it the right way so I get something like "it doesn't taste as good." What does my son (7) do but pipe in and say "Dad put a beer in it." Which leads to the whole "no wonder" etc., etc.

I didn't do anything stupid with the beer addition either . . . it was a bit less than a pint of a special bitter I brewed, watered down with a couple quarts of water. If anything it was probably the bay leaves and peppercorns boiling in there that made it taste so different.
I feel ya.. I used a pint of my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout in a chilli once... it was the best chilli i made... Some people concentrate on the individual flavors they cant pin point instead of how it the whole recipe tastes.

Amatures.. keep using that beer...
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #2612
blueseamonkey
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Zamboanguita, Philippines
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My homebrew is more expensive and better tasting than the commercial beers here, so I wouldn't waste it on cooking when I can buy a bottle for much less. I save my beer for drinking

Then the world will fall out of your bottom.

sniperd Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #2613
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2077 Times on 1303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseamonkey View Post
My homebrew is more expensive and better tasting than the commercial beers here, so I wouldn't waste it on cooking when I can buy a bottle for much less. I save my beer for drinking
you say you would waste your cooking with beer rather than waste your beer with cooking? why would you not want to use a better tasting ingredient?

the advice for wine is cook with what you would drink, applies also to beer.

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

People Like This 
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #2614
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
you say you would waste your cooking with beer rather than waste your beer with cooking? why would you not want to use a better tasting ingredient?

the advice for wine is cook with what you would drink, applies also to beer.
THIS! Beer battered goodness using my Cascadian Dark Ale is infinitely better than using BMC.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #2615
blueseamonkey
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Zamboanguita, Philippines
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've found so far that the best tasting beer in a stew is a rather nasty tasting local beer called Red Horse - why it tastes so good boiled with beef I'm not sure, but a bottle of that costs me half of the costs of my homebrew, then my sister-in-law will drink the leftovers.

And for beer battering, a San Miguel Pilsen or Manila Beer works pretty well - I like the extra thickness in the batter that comes from a highly carbonated beer. I do drink these beers when I have no homebrew (not so much of the Red Horse) - so I'm not buying beer just for cooking that I wouldn't drink. While I'm bored of the Pale Pilsen (fizzy yellow lager) style - they're pretty decent examples of it - much better than the BMC beers you get in America.

Plus ingredients for homebrew are hard to come by here, and any commercial beer that isn't fizzy yellow lager is crazy expensive. So for now my homebrew is being treated almost like gold dust... Good thing I haven't messed up a batch yet, tipping away a whole 40 pints would make me cry!

Perhaps for a VERY special occasion I might try cooking with homebrew, but I cook with beer often enough that replacing every time would make a serious dent in my supply of decent beer.

Then the world will fall out of your bottom.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #2616
forstmeister
Recipes 

May 2011
Chicago, IL
Liked 182 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy

THIS! Beer battered goodness using my Cascadian Dark Ale is infinitely better than using BMC.
The best beer batter I have ever made I used my brown ale. Second best I used a hoppy ipa I made. Moral of the story: homebrew makes awesome beer batter.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #2617
mglicini
Recipes 

Aug 2012
dallas, Pennsylvania
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so the other day my friend invited me to his buddies house and I was in the middle of brewing my Pale Ale.. I said I would come over When I was done... And i told him i would bring my irish red over (generally i found it applies to many different palate) So When I arrived I heard three things I've never heard before...

1. I thought you were brewing a pale ale
Which I then explained the process

2. When do you add the vodka or do you use rum
Which I explained how yeast works

3. Then out of no where... This taste a little bit better than natty ice.. but it's no Bud light ( I never thought that beer would have ever be compared like that)

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #2618
Swarley88
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Chaska, Minnesota
Liked 610 Times on 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglicini View Post
so the other day my friend invited me to his buddies house and I was in the middle of brewing my Pale Ale.. I said I would come over When I was done... And i told him i would bring my irish red over (generally i found it applies to many different palate) So When I arrived I heard three things I've never heard before...

3. Then out of no where... This taste a little bit better than natty ice.. but it's no Bud light ( I never thought that beer would have ever be compared like that)
Hahahah weird stuff. I wouldn't know what to say to that.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #2619
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2923 Times on 2182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley88 View Post
"I need to find some new friends" comes to mind...

Cheers!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #2620
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglicini View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post

"I need to find some new friends" comes to mind...

Cheers!
The first two aren't all that weird for a newb. Nor are they particularly stupid.

They simply don't know how the fermentation process works, and if they've seen a show like Moonshiners (not being aware of the difference between fermentation and distillation), where they're able to drink it right away, it's understandable why they might expect the same thing with beer.

The second one is also understandable, since a number of liqueurs are made like that. There are also a number of products available to homebrewers that are essentially just concentrates, intended to be added to a neutral grain spirit (ie vodka) to produce a flavored liquor or liqueur. Again, probably just a case of knowing a little, but just enough to get things wrong! I'd likewise hesitate to call it stupid or make fun of it.

But number 3... well, at least THAT is worthy of an open season on newbs!