The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 253 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #2521
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Hey at least your friend's mom was trying! Im impressed that the lady did some reading so as to perpetuate a conversation on the matter.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #2522
RedGuitar
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Oh yeah, we actually had a good conversation about beer, and she seemed genuinely interested. She told me her favorites are porters and IPS's because she liked beers that taste like chocolate and/or dirt.

She was more interesting to talk to than the friend's boyfriend, who kept complaining that the Super Bowl commercials weren't funny enough.

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #2523
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Liked 5898 Times on 3469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuitar View Post
Oh yeah, we actually had a good conversation about beer, and she seemed genuinely interested. She told me her favorites are porters and IPS's because she liked beers that taste like chocolate and/or dirt.

She was more interesting to talk to than the friend's boyfriend, who kept complaining that the Super Bowl commercials weren't funny enough.
you shoulda done a flying elbow drop in his wedding tackle when he wasn't paying attention. then look square in his eye and say in the most serious tone you can manage, "This shizzle just got funny. Fo' rizzle."
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #2524
NateLTB
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

One of my buddies (a PBR loyalist) after trying my new session IPA (4%, 70 IBUs) "Wow, that is so strong. I don't think I can finish this, I need to drive home."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #2525
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

I've definitely noticed a lot of people, including people I love and respect, seem to think that strong tasting (or strong tasting to the) = more alcohol.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #2526
NateLTB
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I've definitely noticed a lot of people, including people I love and respect, seem to think that strong tasting (or strong tasting to the) = more alcohol.
As I share my homebrew with more people I'm noticing this more and more. Most of my friends are beer geeks like me so they understand them but some of them only drink the American light lagers and don't know any better. My goal is to teach them and convert them all to the wonders of microbrews.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #2527
kaconga
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB View Post
One of my buddies (a PBR loyalist) after trying my new session IPA (4%, 70 IBUs) "Wow, that is so strong. I don't think I can finish this, I need to drive home."
Might have just been his polite way of not wanting to finish it. I have turned down pbr using that same excuse.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #2528
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I think some people really don't want their false beer "knowledge" challenged, because they like repeating certain things. For example, one guy I know was telling his buddy that each Guinness draught was like 2 Miller's. I told him that actually the Miller was higher in alcohol than the Guinness, and he just completely shrugged it off and I heard him repeat the same line about a half hour later.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #2529
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Misinformation from beer commercials (i.e. "cold brewed" , "triple hopped") and folk legend ("Guinness used to have dead rats in their fermenters so now they toss steak in the kettle/fermenter") seem to have a stronger hold on the uninitiated than real people with knowledge and experience. "Guinness is super strong" and "You can chew Guinness" sadly are two that just won't go away.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #2530
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Collegeville, Pa
Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts

Talk about a stupid. Not quite a comment, but my wife just implied her nails were more important than my 5 gallons of lager.

I was in the middle of racking a beer and our puppy was going nuts at the door to go out and relieve himself. I asked my wife if she could let him out, but her nails were drying and she basically shrugged me off! I was on my last gallon, but he couldn't hold it and pissed on the carpet. Now I have two messes to clean up tonight.