The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 249 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #2481
Dave37
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Queens NY, New York
Liked 414 Times on 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator
I guess it's my fault we all got off topic.

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Me- "Bud Ice? I didn't know AB made an 'Ice' version of Bud?"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

I about dropped my bottle. Guy must not actually like any beer at all.
They do make bud ice and it's a 1$ for a 22 in the bodega on my corner. I've had and enjoyed many on hot summer nights on the stoop with friends when feeling lazy and cheap.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #2482
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts

only dumb comment I ever got was "Hey this actually tastes like beer."
Kegged empty

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #2483
brplatz
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb

You can probably thank breaking bad for the new found popularity for meth making haha since that show's debut I get these comments more and more.
I live in Albuquerque where its filmed and am a brand new brewer, but I have already gotten that comment from day 1!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2484
newb
Recipes 

May 2011
Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts

I haven't actually seen the show so I don't know what their meth making equipment looks like. Does it really resemble a homebrew rig? Because people seeing my setup and going " this looks like breaking bad!" is becoming the #1 most frequent reaction I get anymore

Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2485
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Deferiet, NY
Liked 134 Times on 93 Posts

The first few seasons of Breaking Bad used traditional lab equipment. Bunson burners and pyrex flasks and jars. Then he the cartel recruited him he had large stainless steel vessels. But at that point it looked like a full size chemical facility, not unlike something you would see at a 3M or DuPont facility. I guess for the casual observer its easiest thing that they can visually relate to.

Though I think on that show he harps sanitation as much as everyone in home brewing does.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout; 2. Baltic Porter; 3. Snow ESB 4. Steam Beer; 5. Pilsner 6. EMPTY

[B]Bottled: 1. 1.125 OG experiment

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #2486
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
this was nothing short of an uncalled for attempt to start an argument rather than an intelligent discussion If you really think a statement like that could accomplish anything constructive, then regardless of your brewing experience and knowledge, it seems you need help to be a better communicator. Next time approaching someone in a forum or maybe even in your face to face reactions with people (though I feel you probably aren't as condescending in the real world, because it is probably a lot easier to behave this way in a forum talking to someone states away you will never meet) about something you feel you know more about or have more expertise in, try to open with "I have been doing this for some time and have some expertise or insight to add here, your statement is wrong, or I disagree with your statement -Because- x,y, and z." This would be more effective than your approach, "yeah you're a newb." Followed by no explanation or anything This just comes off as you simply feel like name calling or tooting your own horn about your time brewing. It degrades from the forum for the person insulted and all others who have to read the poor conversation. With the former approach you will be more likely to actually be listened to, rather than just written off as a dbag. Unfortunately upon first seeing this statement I let myself get dragged in and responded just as poorly.
It was Brewer - with a capital B. Anyone can get brewer status, that's a piece of cake. Brewer status is only obtained once you've made a delicious american light lager. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #2487
newb
Recipes 

May 2011

Ahhh with a capital B I see it now. It is a shame I will never obtain that at this rate because currently I don't like American light lagers, the same way some people don't like IPAs I guess. I do thank you though kind sir for wishing me luck, but as I don't enjoy them, I won't be brewing one any time soon. Maybe if my palate changes in a few years I will get into them though, who knows, so thanks for the wish of luck.

Anyway back on topic since we dropped that whole thing already...

My brother during a mash," it doesn't really smell like beer"

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2488
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
... Maybe if my palette changes in a few years I will get into them though, who knows, so thanks for the wish of luck.
palate is for tasting

palette is for painting
pallet is for wood

Aunt_Ester Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #2489
newb
Recipes 

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
palate is for tasting

palette is for painting
pallet is for wood
thanks officer didn't see my iphone autocorrect must have swapped my typo for that haha

Aunt_Ester Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #2490
Halbrust
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
My buddy as he was brewing with me:

Can we drink this tonight after it cools?
I'd rather drink cooled wort than anything. It's delicious!!!!