The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 243 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #2421
Getzinator

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Wilmington, De
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I guess it's my fault we all got off topic.

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Me- "Bud Ice? I didn't know AB made an 'Ice' version of Bud?"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

I about dropped my bottle. Guy must not actually like any beer at all.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #2422
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator View Post

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

There is a mythical creature in my neighborhood who we call "the sipper" or "one-sip." He's about 60 years old I'd say, and comes into the bar you are in quietly. He asks, not unpolitely, for a miller lite, and a glass of ice. He pays, puts a dollar under the glass, and then pours the beer over the ice.

Here's the fun part. He takes one sip, and silently leaves. Since he has paid and tipped no one gives him any grief, but we all scratch our heads.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2423
NateLTB

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator View Post

To get us back on topic:

AB did actually brew a Bud Ice years ago. It clocked in at a whopping 5.0% ABV. I only remember it because I loved the penguin commercials.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #2424
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 528 Times on 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
There is a mythical creature in my neighborhood who we call "the sipper" or "one-sip." He's about 60 years old I'd say, and comes into the bar you are in quietly. He asks, not unpolitely, for a miller lite, and a glass of ice. He pays, puts a dollar under the glass, and then pours the beer over the ice.

Here's the fun part. He takes one sip, and silently leaves. Since he has paid and tipped no one gives him any grief, but we all scratch our heads.
There was a Vietnam vet who use to do the same thing at a place here in Madison called The Buckeye. It's since closed but that guy was like clockwork; he would come in, say hello to everyone and everyone would hello back (NORM!), order his Miller Lite with a glass of ice, sip, OK SEE YOU EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

I asked him about it once and he said it's from when he was overseas and got really tired of drinking warm beer.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2425
pnj
Recipes 

Mar 2009
seattle
Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts

Bud Ice was higher than 5%.
http://www.alcoholcontents.com/beer/

We drank all the ice beers back in the day....

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #2426
Getzinator

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Wilmington, De
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB View Post
AB did actually brew a Bud Ice years ago. It clocked in at a whopping 5.0% ABV. I only remember it because I loved the penguin commercials.

Now this makes me even more confused... I'm pretty young so I wouldn't know much about Bud Ice. But now you're telling me he made up a name for something, but in reality there was something else that actually existed?
Dear lord, my head!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #2427
JoeyChopps

Recipes 

Apr 2011
warner robins, ga
Liked 280 Times on 190 Posts

What are you talking about? They still make bud ice my little sister drinks it and so does one of my buddies at work. My little sister always drinks them in 16 oz cans.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #2428
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3702 Times on 3177 Posts

Your 'nam vet story reminds me of another one. I'd come home from work at this ranch house we had in the 80's on a hot day. Come outside with a cold one,look 2 doors up through the back yards. My neighbor up the way had a 6'r of Bud on the picnic table in the hot sun all day long. He'd come home a bit after me, guzzling this ho0t horse wizz. I finally had to ask WTF??! He said,in 'nam,they had their stuff,including beer strapped to the outside of the tank. He just got used to drinkin it that way. YErpgagwretch....
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #2429
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Boulder, Co
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Like what, specifically? What makes them so cheap is incredible efficiency and scale. Pabst, Miller and Coors took gold, silver and bronze at GABF this year.
It must have been in the American Light category, because overall everyone was laughing at them. They had to bribe people to drink their beer at GABF this year with free shirts and hats and they literally wouldn't let you take one unless you drank a sample of PBR first. What a joke.

It's also not that impressive to me to say that they got a gold (did the best job of brewing that style) because those three companies literally invented the category. The style guidelines were written to specifically reflect the taste of those three breweries, so yeah, they probably should be the best.

masonsjax Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #2430
russrob81
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Liked 142 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB

Bud ice is still around. I don't know about other cities but its pretty heavily advertised on the outside of liquor stores in Baltimores "nicer" areas