The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 22 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #211
Jaysus
Recipes 

Jul 2008
H'burg, PA
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
I was sharing my Sparkling Cranberry Cider with my sister- in-law. My mother-in-law hears her daughter raving about how good it tastes. Therefore she wants a glass of it too.

I pour her a splash in a glass, she says fill it up. I'm like OK, fill it and pass it over to her. She takes a sip.... says "This stuff is pretty good."

She starts to chug about it down. In one go about half the glass is gone.

I told her, "Take it easy. This cider has 8.5% alcohol."

She goes to me. "Did you say there is alcohol in this stuff?" The look she gives is like I've got three heads.

I said, "Yes" Then she walks over to the sink and dumps the rest down the drain.

Then she says, " You didn't tell me there was alcohol in it, I thought it was just juice."

I was thinking the 20oz Chablis glass might be a dead give away. I guess I should have poured it one of my wife's McDonald's glasses and kept my mouth shut!

double lol

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #212
Stef1966
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Quebec, Canada
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow... I love this thread.

So far most of the people i made them taste the stuff have been either polite or rather enthusiastic.

My wife takes a sip or two sometimes and then says: "I'm not much into beer anyways".

But she admits it has flavor and interesting tastes, but she's more into Red wine.

My sister in law tasting a dark Irish Ale i made gave me a look like i just gave her a glass of windshield washer fluid and said: "This doesn't taste like beer at all, what did you put in there?".

Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #213
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 539 Times on 431 Posts

I shared some of my Brown Biscuit over christmas. The only odd comment was "Is it supposed to be this dark?"

Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #214
Stef1966
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Quebec, Canada
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Had this thread in mind last night and i couldn't help to compare Beer making to music making.

For those of you who do play and compose their own songs you might relate to what i say here, presenting your own music to relatives often gets you as harsh a response as making them taste your homebrew.

This is such a sad planet filled with so many clueless ignorants... I'll drink to that.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #215
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I generally don't play my music to my relatives. SWMBO is rarely much of a fan, my kids sometimes dig it, but everyone else I give up on.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #216
Kriznac
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Albany, OR

Recently when telling a friend that I started making homebrew he told me that he has always heard that the first few batches are no good. What? That's like saying the first cake you ever bake will be trash. Apparently he didn't think there could actually be beer recipes out there and people who know what they are doing.

He asked what type of beer I will make. I said, "Pretty much all kinds except IPA because I'm not a fan of super hoppy beers." He then proceeded to tell me that IPA's taste the way they do because it's the leftovers from various kegs all mixed together!! I couldn't believe it, sometimes I wish people just pull their head out of their a** and think before they talk.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #217
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

After a friend brings some one else over to the keg telling him I made it, I usually get "Did you make this?" reply, "No, its just a bunch of bottles I poured into this big soda can" Heres your sign.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #218
alex_wilkosz
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Mundelein, Illinois
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i gave out a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein i made at christmas, and many people enjoyed it and i explained what it was and how i made it and such.

Then one person emailed me telling me they tried it and said "it tasted a lot like apples" i was like: " WTF mate, did u listen to my explanation at all?"

Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #219
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Atlanta
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

As tempting as it is to call people idiots, remember that you're much more experienced and knowledgeable than the average person on the topic. Even home brewers that enjoy many styles of beer could mis-identify something by taste.

And think about what the average person is exposed to.

I try not to do it, but it's hard. I can't stand when people ask me to change the music I'm listening to because it has no words.

No ****, genius, it's music.

But I oblige because they just haven't developed the taste for that. Just like I hadn't before a foray into hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of musical dabblings.

That being said - I spied someone switch from miller lite to a bottled Pils a month ago and on the first sip they said

"WHOA, What's in this?!"

I found the bottle nearly full on a table later that night. It just seems like such a shame that people do ANYTHING and don't take the time to expand their knowledge and taste for it. Music, beer, art, literature, EVERYTHING.

But we're all ignorant of something

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #220
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts

It isn't the lack of knowledge that bothers me, but the complete aversion to new things and different experiences. That is what makes an idiot to me.

Luckily, most people I run across are either, beer nerds, wanna be beer nerds, or people who drink anything given to them. So I either get honest reviews, or "dude, you are my new beer god!" Like totally!