The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 218 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #2171
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

I brew lower ABV most of the time. While I love the taste of a RIS or Barleywine, for drinking enjoyment I love to down pint after pint without getting stupid and out of control. A healthy mix of 2.8-4.0% beers makes that easy and pleasant.

I dont get nearly as drunk now as I used to... And my guests don't break my stuff, and they get home safely. And nobody ever complains about the quality or taste of my brews. I have plenty of styles to choose from.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2172
tennesseean_87

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Bismarck, ND
Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Meh, I don't find that stupid or even odd at all. Producing anything to be commercial quality with cheap home equipment is usually difficult and often impossible. Home brewed beer is just something that happens to be able to meet and even at times exceed its commercial counterparts. I think even most homebrewers were at one point also surprised at the quality of beer they, or people they knew, were able to produce.
I am still surprised I can make good beer. Every once in a while I'll have one and think. "Wow, I'm really doing this!" I don't like a lot of commercial beer as much as I used to, either.
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Drinking: Irish Red, Hoppy Brown, Belgian Export Stout, Oktoberfest, Dubbel
Fermenting: Belgian Saison, Session Steam(ish)
On Deck: Pilsner/Schwarzbier split batch, Berliner Weiss? White IPA?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #2173
Junkster
Recipes 

Feb 2011
North Central, Ohio
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

It wasn't my homebrew, but I was having a Guinness in a local bar one day and the guy next to me (a total stranger) was drinking one of the light, fizzy beers from a major mega-swill brewery. The first thing he says to me is "I don't know how you can drink that s**t!". I turned to him and said "I was just thinking of saying that very thing to you!"

People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #2174
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 3220 Times on 2406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
[...]Producing anything to be commercial quality with cheap home equipment is usually difficult and often impossible. Home brewed beer is just something that happens to be able to meet and even at times exceed its commercial counterparts. [...]
Clever - using diametrically opposed statements to keep us all confused about whether there was a point being made or not.

And it worked.

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #2175
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr

Clever - using diametrically opposed statements to keep us all confused about whether there was a point being made or not.

And it worked.

Cheers!
They are not opposed, due to the words "usually" and "often"

Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #2176
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

Was at a friend's cottage this weekend. Just me, my buddy, and his parents - known them forever. Anyway, I brought a few different homebrews for everyone to try by the fire, mainly an IPA and a IIPA. So we're there on Friday night drinking them, buddy's dad is going crazy saying "this is good! I don't want to drink my beer anymore! my beer has no flavour!". Food was a bunch of stuff - cooked some sausages on the fire, made some burgers (which my buddy's dad bit in to and realized it still had the paper on it), ate some spicy doritos, had some gross bologna sandwiches while out fishing earlier, etc. Anyway buddy's mom wouldn't even try a sip of the homebrew. Flat-out refused to trust that my beer wouldn't kill us all instantly. So went to bed that night, but then I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible stomach pain, and absolutely destroyed the outhouse.

Next morning:
the mom: "so how'd you guys sleep?"
me: "great, but I had a bad stomach ache in the middle of the night"
the mom: "probably that beer you were drinking"

It was kind of insulting. But in the end more beer for me so who cares. On the plus side, my friend's dad wants me to teach him how to make beer up at the cottage. Wants some simple extract instructions. Time to get that well-water report!

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #2177
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Shoot, I've got a warm buzz going right now! But I know darn well the only thing keeping it from being a drunken stupor is not drinking more homebrew
"hey why you drinking at work, Paul? You can't get wasted and get paid for it."
"relax, boss. I'm only getting comfortable. This is my homebrew. Everyone knows you can't get wasted on homebrew"
"ah, I see. Carry on, then."

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #2178
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

May 2010
Portland, Maine
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626

"hey why you drinking at work, Paul? You can't get wasted and get paid for it."
"relax, boss. I'm only getting comfortable. This is my homebrew. Everyone knows you can't get wasted on homebrew"
"ah, I see. Carry on, then."
Sorta related: everyone at the office knows when I've had a lot of homebrew because I stink up the place the next day :-D

Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #2179
malweth

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I brought three beers to a wedding (rehearsal & wedding after-party)... so the comments were bound to be interesting.

Everyone at the rehearsal dinner thought it was great - I had nothing but good comments. At the after-party (which didn't last long) I had a few interesting, drunken comments. They all liked the beer, but:

"This stout is very stouty."

and

"I really liked that Grolsch," after which *everyone* called the Kölsch "Grolsch." There was also a couple who'd lived in Cologne and said it was very good but you can't call it Kölsch unless it comes from Cologne.

Everyone liked it, though... they just felt like they had to say more than that they liked it, I guess. Unfortunately the Kölsch is gone... I'd have liked to enter that into a competition -- it may be the best beer I've made, imho.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #2180
kaconga
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts

I had a gem today. We were visiting family in a really small town. While having lunch at the diner I saw they had SNPA. So I ordered one and the waitress looks at me confused and says "is that some sort of wine?" I point it out on the beer list and immediately regret it. Of course it was old and had lost all its hop aroma. Still gave me a chuckle though.