The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 217 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #2161
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir humpsalot
swmbo hates beer. So she says. But i keep handing her samples, she takes a tiny polite little sip, wrinkles her nose, says, "ick! Yuck!" and then 2 minutes later she takes another sip and smiles. Then she says, "it's actually kind of sweet and caramelly" or "i don't like that one. It's too bitter." she doesn't realize it, but she's learning. I don't expect her to like anything i brew, let alone everything.

But i am leading her towards pinpointing some flavors and characteristics that she likes. So far my hefeweizen is "actually not that bad", my stout "has a nice caramel flavor" and in my oatmeal cookie ale "you can kind of taste the cookie..." in time, she will find a beer that she doesn't mind. They all do eventually.

Not really dumb comments. I actually consider them high praise coming from someone who doesn't drink much and can't even stomach a bmc. She is actually way ahead of people just by the fact that she doesn't know enough to think that bmc might be good. Stout, hefe, flanders ale, gose, geuze, ris, and bmc, are all on equal footing. And that is really interesting.

I haven't gotten many dumb comments. I guess it's because i introduce my beer with my mr. Wizard hat on, loading people with a ton of technical scientific concepts and historical anecdotes that convince them i am the einstein/george will of beer. They see the refractometer, the hydrometer, learn about my sanitation procedure, and then the 5 gallon pot in a bathtub doesn't seem so scary. They learn that it's actually sanitary or else it wouldn't even turn into beer. They inevitably give in to my geekiness and have to suspend their disbelief. And of course them starting to catch a buzz doesn't hurt either.

I present my beers as a ridiculous modern science... That touches the very roots of humankind. The thought of someone not liking any of my beer is... Absurd.

a6ladd Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #2162
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

I can't fathom a better description except to say that a Homebrew buzz is a very warm buzz. You don't get wasted on homebrew, you get comfortable.

It is like a homecooked meal. You may not like the dish, but if you force people into the right mental perspective ("hey, I made this. This is my hospitality.") then it's very hard for them to not appreciate it. I think a lot of the dumb comments come from people who expect to get wasted and don't realize there is a brewer behind it... A guy who made it. They forget, or fail to realize, that beer is more than a commodity Its no different from making a meat loaf or a cake.

How many people eat Wonderbread and get wierded out by a simple loaf of French bread? It's tough and doughy... But hey keep practicing and someday maybe you will make a bread as good as Wonderbread.

That's a good tomato sauce, but it's no Ragu... What ******* would say that?

I think that if you get comments like that, you are dealing with small-minded people and completely failing to guide/manage expectations.

Look. I don't brew BMC. I like flavor in my beer. Let me show you some real flavors...

a6ladd Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2163
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
I can't fathom a better description except to say that a Homebrew buzz is a very warm buzz. You don't get wasted on homebrew, you get comfortable.
Ethanol is ethanol regardless of medium. If you drink too much of it you'll get wasted.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #2164
phenry
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Ethanol is ethanol regardless of medium. If you drink too much of it you'll get wasted.
My inhibitions tend to agree with this statement.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #2165
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy

In trying to correct my factual inaccuracy, you actually kinda missed the underlying point.

You are technically right, of course. And wrong.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #2166
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Liked 208 Times on 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post

It is like a homecooked meal. You may not like the dish, but if you force people into the right mental perspective ("hey, I made this. This is my hospitality.") then it's very hard for them to not appreciate it. I think a lot of the dumb comments come from people who expect to get wasted and don't realize there is a brewer behind it... A guy who made it. They forget, or fail to realize, that beer is more than a commodity Its no different from making a meat loaf or a cake.

How many people eat Wonderbread and get wierded out by a simple loaf of French bread? It's tough and doughy... But hey keep practicing and someday maybe you will make a bread as good as Wonderbread.

That's a good tomato sauce, but it's no Ragu... What ******* would say that?

I think that if you get comments like that, you are dealing with small-minded people and completely failing to guide/manage expectations.

Look. I don't brew BMC. I like flavor in my beer. Let me show you some real flavors...
Who is this guy?
1. none 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2, Kentucky Common

aygov Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #2167
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I remember one time this guy told me he couldn't get wasted on homebrew... He said it only ever gave him a warm buzz

tennesseean_87 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #2168
Tex

Recipes 

Nov 2011
ft worth
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts

I've achieved and maintained a warm buzz with home brew, though more often it turns into a drunken stupor.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #2169
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Shoot, I've got a warm buzz going right now! But I know darn well the only thing keeping it from being a drunken stupor is not drinking more homebrew

Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #2170
Tex

Recipes 

Nov 2011
ft worth
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts

It's always "just one more"

jamiemc18 Likes This