The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 211 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #2101
tennesseean_87

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Bismarck, ND
Liked 134 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo View Post
When I first got started my dad asked me when I was going to make something other than "flavored beer". At that point the craziest thing I had made was an oatmeal stout and a rye IPA.
This is the best so far. You should start making the flavorless stuff.
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Drinking: Irish Red, Hoppy Brown, Belgian Export Stout, Oktoberfest, Dubbel
Fermenting: Belgian Saison, Session Steam(ish)
On Deck: Pilsner/Schwarzbier split batch, Berliner Weiss? White IPA?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #2102
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo View Post
When I first got started my dad asked me when I was going to make something other than "flavored beer". At that point the craziest thing I had made was an oatmeal stout and a rye IPA.
Did you give him a seltzer water?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #2103
Whattawort

Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

It really irritates me when I ask my drinking buddies to give me their honest opinion and point out the things they like and don't like about the beer. These guys are fellow craft beer drinker to boot. It's hard to get better at something if you don't know what's "off". I always get "tastes like beer to me", "I didn't get a headache", or "what's this stuff at the bottom of my bottle". I have to get SWMBO (who doesn't like most beer) to give me some kind of feedback. I'll give her a BJCP sheet with the style profile and she'll go off of that.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #2104
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
It really irritates me when I ask my drinking buddies to give me their honest opinion and point out the things they like and don't like about the beer. These guys are fellow craft beer drinker to boot. It's hard to get better at something if you don't know what's "off". I always get "tastes like beer to me", "I didn't get a headache", or "what's this stuff at the bottom of my bottle". I have to get SWMBO (who doesn't like most beer) to give me some kind of feedback. I'll give her a BJCP sheet with the style profile and she'll go off of that.
Why not give your craft beer buddies a BJCP guideline printout as well?

Also, one of the biggest problems in teaching people about beer is that they know what they are tasting but don't know how to properly describe it. Give them all a copy of the flavor wheel! It was really useful for me when I started really picking beers apart.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #2105
Whattawort

Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

Thank you Reno_eNVy for the flavor wheel. I've been telling my brother about this. Most of my buddies pretend they can't read when they're drinking, yet we're all engineers or in technical jobs. They just want to get away from their families for a few hours and decompress. My wife, on the other hand, likes to learn new things even if the subject isn't really something that initially interests her. She loves my caramel hard apple cider though.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #2106
a6ladd
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Great Falls, MT
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I'm only about halfway through reading this thread but some of the things I have seen are simply beyond belief haha.

Last weekend I handed a pint of munich dunkel I had made to my girlfriends friend and her boyfriend to have a taste. The girlfriend tasted it and said she really liked it then handed it to her macho boyfriend and went to open one for herself . When her boyfriend gave it a taste the face he made reminded me of my brother at six years old turning his nose up when my mom forced him to finish his broccoli. I had to hold back laughter.
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #2107
starrfish

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Florence, SC
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569 View Post
Simcoe Cream Ale? What a waste. Was it hoppy?
LOL this ranks up there!
Just kidding. I brewed the cream ale with all simcoe as I had extra simcoe left over from an American IPA. Simcoe flavor and aroma did come through in a small way, and I will repeat the recipe again! It was hoppy to style. Added some small later additions just because it was simcoe. Not a competition beer... just a summer drinker.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Tiber_Brew Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #2108
starrfish

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Florence, SC
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Why not give your craft beer buddies a BJCP guideline printout as well?

Also, one of the biggest problems in teaching people about beer is that they know what they are tasting but don't know how to properly describe it. Give them all a copy of the flavor wheel! It was really useful for me when I started really picking beers apart.

that is awesome!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #2109
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tokushima, Japan
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm finally through the whole thread!!! Woohoo!

I couldn't help but think about two things:

Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "The funniest comment on your beer." A lot of these are funny, but not necessarily stupid.

I like the flavor wheel. That would help in explaining flavors. It would be awesome for a brewer with A LOT of time to make some mini batches that correspond to the flavor wheel. Each batch would focus on one flavor. Then they would all be bottled in 100 ml bottles. If you want to truly teach someone the terminology, this would be an awesome way. "That's hoppy? No, that's malty. Here, a sample of malty and a sample of hoppy." In fact, it may even be a nice sampler/experiment to improve our own education and palate.

Of course, we all just want to drink good beer and are fine with that. At least, I am. Hell, I barely have the time to brew enough for the SWMBO and I.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #2110
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tokushima, Japan
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
I wrote a poem about IPA's in my creative writing class
one line was
"Pilsner glass abode"
to which my to which my professor replies
"Oh I didn't get it until you said Pilsner. I remember now IPA's are a kind of Pilsner."

You actually wrote a poem about IPAs? Wow. WTG! Care to share?

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin