The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 203 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #2021
Hegh

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Schenectady, NY
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yesterday I stopped by a restaurant that my parents like to get a gift certificate for them. While waiting at the bar for the owner to fill it out, I noticed that the restaurant has a beer named after it. I ask about it, and the lady is nice enough to give me a sample while she runs my credit card.

I look at it, give it a sniff and a taste, and say, "Sort of an amber...?" figuring she'll tell me what the brewery that makes it for them calls it.

She responds that they describe it as "Like Guinness" to most of their customers.

"This is nothing like Guinness," I exclaimed back.

"I know, but you know more about beer than most of our customers."

So I guess that would count as lots of stupid comments on their beer? It was a light reddish brown and crystal clear!

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #2022
KBrew75
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The one that drives me nuts is whenever a friend of mine sees me drinking a dark beer he says "Man...That's too thick for me. You can stand a knife up in that."

Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #2023
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

"It is good!Like Guinness!!"

Firstly I HATE guinness. Secondly, that stout you are sipping is about 40 times as complex as guinness and carbed with good ol CO2.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #2024
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3
"It is good!Like Guinness!!"

Firstly I HATE guinness. Secondly, that stout you are sipping is about 40 times as complex as guinness and carbed with good ol CO2.
Well I think that's just you nitpicking and hating Guinness, not necessarily a stupid comment on your beer. At least he knew it was a stout.

What if Guinness is the only beer he's ever truly enjoyed? Makes the comment at lot better

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #2025
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Not that bad but kinda funny:

The dad of a co-worker of my wife found out we brew and really wanted to try one. I didn't want to give him something crappy or have an off-flavor to scare him off of homebrew but I wanted to give him something unique. So I chose a Belgian. It's 10% ABV, very malty, lots of esters and absolutely no hop flavor or aroma. (It's sort of like piraat or scaldis.) He tried it, said it was good but somewhat hoppy. I just rolled with the comment because I knew he didn't know what the esters were (or hops, for that matter) and was trying to articulate it as best he could. He enjoyed it, thanked us and then tried to play with the dog. He was obviously buzzed.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #2026
bknifefight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
PA
Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
...The dad of a co-worker of my wife...

One time my uncles' girlfriends' daughters' best friends' cousins' dogs'... lol

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #2027
KingKlong
Recipes 

May 2012
Kernersville, NC
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My cousin kept saying "tastes like chocolate" to all of my beers. Bock, smoked porter, barrel aged stout. It all tasted like chocolate.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #2028
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
...So I guess that would count as lots of stupid comments on their beer? It was a light reddish brown and crystal clear!
I don't know, sounds like she knew what she was talking about but also knew that most customers wouldn't. More like she was trying to avoid stupid comments on their beer

Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #2029
KISS Brew

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Athens, Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts

In my experience, most people who compare any beer to Guinness are wrong. This is even true for most commercially available stouts.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #2030
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy

Well I think that's just you nitpicking and hating Guinness, not necessarily a stupid comment on your beer. At least he knew it was a stout.

What if Guinness is the only beer he's ever truly enjoyed? Makes the comment at lot better
Lol. You have a point, but this particular person was guilty of countless stupid comments, so she was predestined.