The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 200 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #1991
ndsgr
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Not really a comment, but a reaction. My friend's wife is a germaphobe. They came over for the first time and got a tour of the house to include the brew room. She looked at a sour, which actually looks pretty clear with almost no pellicle, and about got sick. Then I showed her some kombucha brewing in the kitchen cabinets paired with me taking a piece of fermenting sauerkraut out of its crock and eating it. She actually gagged and had to leave the room.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #1992
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2132 Times on 1409 Posts

If we ever stop being a superpower it will be because of germophobes and The Real Housewives franchise. In that order. You mark my words.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #1993
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Millbrook, Alabama
Liked 96 Times on 84 Posts

Ok, so having finally had the time to read the thousand or so posted comments I hadn't had a chance to read through previously....

I can see having to define dark (or of the levels you mean by it when you say it) to a bartender of a restaurant not really known for their beer but in a pub? I'm sorry, if a bartender is that dense there's no way I'm spending the 7.50-12.00 it costs for much nicer beers. For cheap swill-like man-sodas? Not even reasonable. Besides (on a slightly different note), I kinda enjoy Amber Bock from Michelob occasionally and in a pinch plus it's actually pretty decent to make chili with. I also thought Bud Ale was tolerable and the bottles are kinda nice as they're the darkest glass bottles I've ever come across and block light better than any of the others I have.

Also, at the risk of borderline derailment... Can't an e-peen contest over who can chug the most Homebrew kind of be applicable to the stupidest comment about your homebrew thread?

And while I do agree that it's always a preferable to educate someone who says something silly or ignorant when given the chance... If their behavior continues to be unreasonable with a mocking or dismissive argumentative air then they deserve whatever abuse they are encouraging. IE, I don't go into to the Mechanic's work area and inform him how to fix my car... I answer his questions as best I can and defer to his wisdom as he clearly knows more than I do about the topic.

Speaking of which, and somewhat back on topic, I gave my cupcake Uncle one of the experimental beers we made recently with a high capsaicin(sp?) content and a moderate hop content. For some weird reason though the hop bitter and the pepper spiciness separated very quickly in the bottle even after pouring almost like a Black and Tan (not really sure why and I didn't find a lot of people posting similar experiences). He starting drinking it with his typical mocking air about how could I like such a "flowery" beer... Followed abruptly about 2/3rds of the way through it by him screaming all the way to the sink to bury his head under the sink. I'm sure Karma will come back to bite me on the butt someday but I'm still kicking myself for not having the foresight to tape that .

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #1994
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Nutley, NJ
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

that sounds aweful... but i bet you enjoyed it..

I had someone ask me "why would you want spice and bananas in a beer..."
my reply...
"So you wont drink it all... "
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #1995
Accidic

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Millbrook, Alabama

To be fair is an extreme @#&$. I so pity his "We're raising him to be non-violent!" son who takes repetitive beatings from the other kids and can't understand why.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #1996
bjl110
Recipes 

May 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This wasn't a comment on my beer, but it was stupid by someone who should know better, so I thought it kinda applies.

I went to a large beer store recently looking for some Jolly Pumpkin. I browsed for a while, because in my little town there is no selection. The clerk, who seemed nice enough, asked me if I needed help picking something out (I'm sure lots of people do, large selection can be intimidating if you don't know what you are doing). I said no thanks, I'm fine. I picked out a couple of sixers of stuff I can't get at home, but couldn't find the JP, which I knew they carry. I found the clerk and asked him if they had any JP, at which point he laughed at me and told me they only carry that stuff in the Fall. I tried to explain that JP was a brewery and not a pumpkin beer. That didn't change his answer. This went on for a minute, but seeing that he was getting agitated i dropped it. Well, maybe they stopped carrying it, I thought. I went to check out and the cashier asked me if I found everything. "No, actually. Do you guys still carry Jolly Pumpkin? Its a brewery, not a pumpkin beer". She looked it up and found plenty in stock. The clerk made his way over by now, and she asked him if he knew where it was. The clerk looked at me, "Ugh, I *told* you we don't carry that except in the Fall!" At this point the manager came over and asked the clerk what the problem was. He told the manager the story, at which point the manager started laughing at him. The manager turned to me and said "I'll show you where it is, we have plenty". Maybe the guy was having a bad day, maybe it was his first day. Either way, more than a little rude to get snippy when you don't understand what is being asked. Ah well, the JP tasted great anyway!
Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #1997
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl110 View Post
This wasn't a comment on my beer, but it was stupid by someone who should know better, so I thought it kinda applies.

I went to a large beer store recently looking for some Jolly Pumpkin. I browsed for a while, because in my little town there is no selection. The clerk, who seemed nice enough, asked me if I needed help picking something out (I'm sure lots of people do, large selection can be intimidating if you don't know what you are doing). I said no thanks, I'm fine. I picked out a couple of sixers of stuff I can't get at home, but couldn't find the JP, which I knew they carry. I found the clerk and asked him if they had any JP, at which point he laughed at me and told me they only carry that stuff in the Fall. I tried to explain that JP was a brewery and not a pumpkin beer. That didn't change his answer. This went on for a minute, but seeing that he was getting agitated i dropped it. Well, maybe they stopped carrying it, I thought. I went to check out and the cashier asked me if I found everything. "No, actually. Do you guys still carry Jolly Pumpkin? Its a brewery, not a pumpkin beer". She looked it up and found plenty in stock. The clerk made his way over by now, and she asked him if he knew where it was. The clerk looked at me, "Ugh, I *told* you we don't carry that except in the Fall!" At this point the manager came over and asked the clerk what the problem was. He told the manager the story, at which point the manager started laughing at him. The manager turned to me and said "I'll show you where it is, we have plenty". Maybe the guy was having a bad day, maybe it was his first day. Either way, more than a little rude to get snippy when you don't understand what is being asked. Ah well, the JP tasted great anyway!
What a jerk. But hey, JP has been acquired so all is good!

And the manager seemed like a nice enough fellow.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #1998
bjl110
Recipes 

May 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yup. Got the JP so it's ok by me. Snagged a Noel de Calabaza (which I've not had before, and now love) from a batch back in September 2010. It was nice and funky.
Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #1999
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
I gave my cupcake Uncle one of the experimental beers we made recently
WTF is a cupcake Uncle? Either that's one hell of a typo or this is some fetish I have to try... I mean never heard of.

HopLife Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #2000
Accidic

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Millbrook, Alabama

Cupcake, carebear, pansy, fruit loop, sissy, girlie man (actually that's unfair to the multitudes of women with far bigger stones than he has...), princess, ninny..... You get the idea.