The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 153 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #1521
lumpher
Recipes 

Jul 2009
texas
Liked 267 Times on 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
during my trolling of TradeMe (New Zealand's Ebay) I found this listing...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=399160634

Some pretty bad beer brewing advice right there.
yummy... i read that, and still laughing. makes me think of eskimo beer. add 8 lbs sugar, 1 package of brewers yeast, and 5 gallons of water. ferment for 3 days in a bucket with the lid on loosely, and drink

Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #1522
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 319 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post

And it is super expensive for barley (I am guessing it is not malted!), You can get a 25 kg sack from Brewers coop for around $70.
The recipe calls for 8 oz of malt extract, 2 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of barley, no hops. Thats some watery beer - if you can call it that!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #1523
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
yummy... i read that, and still laughing. makes me think of eskimo beer. add 8 lbs sugar, 1 package of brewers yeast, and 5 gallons of water. ferment for 3 days in a bucket with the lid on loosely, drink and vomit!
Fixed that for you

Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #1524
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Dirty Water
Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts

I was recently explaining the beer making process to a friend of a friend, at a party. I immediately got the impression this kid was a know-it-all type. I go through the whole process from start to finish... Ingredients, steeping, boil, extract vs. AG, primary, secondary, what dry hopping is, priming, bottling, aging... the works.

2 parts to the hilarity: Apparently he's like a friggen brewmaster now, and tells people basically exactly what I told him. Never made a batch in his life, but tells people he does at parties. I'm sure that's why he was full of questions. This was weeks later my buddy told me they were out and he was using "i make beer" to pickup chicks. Whatever... there was pu$sy on the line, so i guess I get it. But right after i explained the process, he proceeds to tell me all about "some beer he once heard of, but couldn't remember the name of" that used "wet-hopping". I had to Google it, because I had never heard of it. I'm the type to research something before I tell someone they're wrong. Apparently wet hopping involves taking dried hops, soaking it in water, then adding it to the beer. lulz.
Bottled/Kegged: "First Born" TIPA, "Broforce" Blood Orange Hefe, "Knucklehead" Kolsch
On Deck: Key Lime Pie Wheat, Blueberry Hefeweizen

Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #1525
stat
Recipes 

Nov 2010
houston, tx
Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

I'm pretty sure wet hopped beers refers to using hops that have never been dried. Right now you can preorder them from rebel Brewer since they apparently run out quickly and are only available at certain times during the year

Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #1526
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Dirty Water
Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stat View Post
I'm pretty sure wet hopped beers refers to using hops that have never been dried. Right now you can preorder them from rebel Brewer since they apparently run out quickly and are only available at certain times during the year
Yes I know this (and only recently educated myself when he mentioned it). I had never heard of it, and he was just bullsh!tting. So I googled.

It is not, however, soaking dried hops in water, then adding it to a final product at bottling. Hence the hilarity when Mr. Knowitall explained this to me.
Bottled/Kegged: "First Born" TIPA, "Broforce" Blood Orange Hefe, "Knucklehead" Kolsch
On Deck: Key Lime Pie Wheat, Blueberry Hefeweizen

Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #1527
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy

Wowie!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #1528
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextasy23 View Post
...Apparently wet hopping involves taking dried hops, soaking it in water, then adding it to the beer. lulz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextasy23 View Post
...Hence the hilarity when Mr. Knowitall explained this to me.
Oh I get it, he told you wet hopping was the same as dry hopping but you "wet" the hops first. Pretty funny.
I have also heard the process of using undried fresh hops as "using green hops".

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #1529
edb23
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Pittsburgh
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

i love the mr. knowitall types. one kid a while back had just gotten his bartender certificate, so this of course made him an expert in all things alcoholic. he insisted a lime was crucial for corona because it counteracted the germs that were in the urine that was used to ferment it
but drink to think the better

Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #1530
mc_eric
Recipes 

May 2009
Lansing, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb23 View Post
i love the mr. knowitall types. one kid a while back had just gotten his bartender certificate, so this of course made him an expert in all things alcoholic. he insisted a lime was crucial for corona because it counteracted the germs that were in the urine that was used to ferment it
What an idiot!

Everyone knows urine is sterile